Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two 7" Headrest Monitors Installed (With Pics Added)

I installed two 7" XO Vision Headrest monitors. It was very easy. Heres how I did it:

1. Take the headrest out of your car (push in buttons and pull upward).

2. Trace around the monitor with a marker (make sure its out of the mounting plate)
Ive noticed that some people draw an X in the center, its not necessary but I did it.

3. Using a razor or knife or whatever, cut along the lines and remove.

4. Using a razor or knife (I used a knife for this part) cut away foam until metal bars are exposed.

5. Test fit your monitors mounting plate (I had to modify mine by drilling 4 holes for the wire ties).

6. Insert two wire ties (one on each metal bar)

7. Make a hole in the foam for the monitors cable to pass through

8. Insert mounting plate, pull wire tires through holes (dont tighten yet).

9. Insert monitors cable through the hole but dont pull it all the way.

10. Tighten all wire ties (this will pull mounting plate closer and make a tight fit)

11. Push monitor in the mounting plate and pull monitors cable all the way through hole.

Thats the easy part. Now comes the hard part. I didnt take pics of this process but heres what I did: make a hole on the seat near the headrest mounting holes (should be on the side where your monitors cable is at) I used a plastic stick I found long ago to push down to the bottom of the seat. When I got it to the bottom, I made another hole and pushed it through that hole. I then taped the other section of the monitor cable to the stick. Pulled it through the top hole. Connect the two cables. Hooked them to DVD player. Went to the local car audio shop and had them wire my power and ground wires for the DVD player. Tuck wires under the trim. Put the DVD player under the drivers seat. I had a hell getting that cable through the seat. There is thick foam at the top which made it hard to push and pull the cable. If you have an easier way, go for it. The second seat was alot easier than the first one. Hope this help yall.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
flashover95 said:
cant seem to get my pics on here. keep saying they too large and ive resized them.
Go to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket and upload your pictures there. You will have to set up an account but it is free--there are no charges whatsoever. After you upload your pictures you can copy and paste them into your post. No problem with size doing it this way. You have to leave your pictures there. If you ever delete them they will disappear from wherever you posted them.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
that looks good flashover95. can you post a pic with both monitors on. i considered doing this but i'm not sure how it would look with the cloth seats.....

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
Here is flashover95's picture

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Is there anyway to hide the wire sticking out the front?

·
Registered
156 Posts
since there not flush, and look like there velcro'd on. Id pass. No offense.

·
Registered
156 Posts
my one regret is not getting a monitor with a "tilt screen" feature as the headrests make a bad viewing angle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the pic on there is just the monitor sitting on the headrest

i couldnt get my other pics to post.

i can email them yall if u want let me know.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Nice work Flashover. How much did your monitors cost And what kind of DVD player did you get to go with if ya don't mind me asking??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I paid $400 for the 4 XO Vision monitors and Boss Audio DVD player. Got them from Kings Flea Market in Houston, TX.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I love your install pics. Well documented. The head rests are tilted forward, how does that effect the view of the screen of the flat panel monitor?

I must say though, your install, the ones I have posted, and many others, you are limited to the number of pictures you can put up in one post. So when you view them, they are not necessairly in the order you want them in.
Wish there was another way to do it.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
mounting bars in foam

I bought a pair of monitors with built in dvd palyers. How deep did you cut into the foam before you revealed the mounting bars?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts