Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any of my knowledgable jeep owners can help. What would be the maximum size tyre I could fit to a rim with 5" backspace and 8" width. My Commander has a 2" OME lift. I really don't want any rubbing issues and don't feel like taking the hammer to it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have mentioned the 5"backspace rim is the same as fitting a
1.5"wheel spacer. So what is the biggest tyre that gives no rubbing issues with the spacer. I was hoping for 265/75/17 or 265/70/17.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They are both too big from what I understand.

Biggest you can go with no rubbing for sure it 265/65/17, 255/70/17 or 245/75/17.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
265/70/17 will give you some rubbing. Need to go with something a little smaller if you want no rubbing. 255/70/17 will not rub with or without spacers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, well it looks like there is not much point in going for different rims as there is no gain if 255/70/17 is the largest trouble free tyre and it fits on the standard rim. You would think Jeep would have designed the front end to take a more reasonable A/T tyre size. Their design department must have rocks in their heads.:rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Wondering if any of my knowledgable jeep owners can help. What would be the maximum size tyre I could fit to a rim with 5" backspace and 8" width. My Commander has a 2" OME lift. I really don't want any rubbing issues and don't feel like taking the hammer to it.
What wheels did you find that are 17x8 with 5 inches of backspacing?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The wheel well is so tight, it is ridiculous. I guess it looks good with a small stock tire. I had a Dodge Ram 2500 with huge wheel wells and even big tires looked puny.

Our best bet, with the Commander, is to trim and hammer. It's just sheet metal. And if you want you can take the plastic liner out rather than cut it, hammer down the pinch weld and put the liner back, heat the liner to allow you to form it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts