Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone notice that the 2011 Grand Cherokee features a new uConnect head-unit with Garmin GPS.
I'm very interested in this, because if it fits / compatible with the Commander's wiring it would solve most of my gripes with my '08 unit.
I love Garmin's simplicity and responsiveness.
(But...considering current nav units cost close to $2k I'm not going to hold my breath.)

While I don't think this new unit is commercially available yet, I was wondering if anyone has looked at the possibility of a transplant.

Here is the link:
http://www.jeep.com/en/2011/grand_cherokee/interior/uconnect/

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
From what I've read on this, they took the Garmin software and enlarged it to fit the 8" screen, so that all of the graphics look hokey! I haven't seen one yet, but in computer graphics, if the original graphic is poor, or not made to be enlarged, the enlarged graphic becomes bitmapped: rough and crappy looking. I do not know if this is what they are talking about; the consensus is that the graphics look bad.
My Navus unit is a Garmin. It runs on a 2GB flash card. If I want to update it, I insert the card in my computer slot and load all of the maps I want. Simple, clean, and efficient and I can constantly update it. :eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
That's great, a lot less clunky that the current system and more well known to the mass market. Between that, the Overland Summit edition and the (hopefully) 8 speed ZF transmission for 2012, I'm looking at my next vehicle when I come back from Iraq.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I've read on this, they took the Garmin software and enlarged it to fit the 8" screen, so that all of the graphics look hokey! I haven't seen one yet, but in computer graphics, if the original graphic is poor, or not made to be enlarged, the enlarged graphic becomes bitmapped: rough and crappy looking. I do not know if this is what they are talking about; the consensus is that the graphics look bad.
It's all vector graphics, don't think it looks crappy. Probably just not utilizing all that screen real estate in terms of displaying details.
But that's what I like about Garmin, they are clean and simple.
I will check the availability with my dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was in for an oil change today and asked the parts department about this radio. He said they don't have them yet but it would not work in my 08 anyway. Even though I have navigation already. (I find it hard to believe but he could be right...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts