Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, ive had this commander over 2 years now, its now got 130000 on the clock - so i appreciate things will break.

Latest problems with it though are just weird.

The cabin heater gets barely warm (i had the oil cooler changed over the summer, so had the engine coolant system drained) initially the oil cooler looked to have had some kind of leak sealant blocking it, which seems to be what caused it to fail. after rebuild the heater hardly got warm, so we bleed air out of the coolant system and for a few days all seemed ok. this week the weather has got a bit cooler so i turned up the heater and its now blowing cold again, this time thought no air seems to be in the system. changed the thermostat on friday but if anything that made it worse. the strange thing is that the electric fan is running when ever the engine is on - but the relay are not installed - does anyone know where the power is coming from in that case? Ive ordered some cooling system flush chemical but i suspect that the flush will cause another problem if it clears crud from the heater matrix,

Second head scratcher is that very briefly the dash display flashes up 'service parking brake' and at the same time switches off the parking sensors - which can then only be reset by turning the ignition off and on again. while the sensors are disabled in this way as soon as i touch the footbrake the four inner 'red' park sensor warning light come on. the brakes work fine, the parking brake works fine and the code reader shows no error codes. any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
hi guys, ive had this commander over 2 years now, its now got 130000 on the clock - so i appreciate things will break.

Latest problems with it though are just weird.

The cabin heater gets barely warm (i had the oil cooler changed over the summer, so had the engine coolant system drained) initially the oil cooler looked to have had some kind of leak sealant blocking it, which seems to be what caused it to fail. after rebuild the heater hardly got warm, so we bleed air out of the coolant system and for a few days all seemed ok. this week the weather has got a bit cooler so i turned up the heater and its now blowing cold again, this time thought no air seems to be in the system. changed the thermostat on friday but if anything that made it worse. the strange thing is that the electric fan is running when ever the engine is on - but the relay are not installed - does anyone know where the power is coming from in that case? Ive ordered some cooling system flush chemical but i suspect that the flush will cause another problem if it clears crud from the heater matrix,

Second head scratcher is that very briefly the dash display flashes up 'service parking brake' and at the same time switches off the parking sensors - which can then only be reset by turning the ignition off and on again. while the sensors are disabled in this way as soon as i touch the footbrake the four inner 'red' park sensor warning light come on. the brakes work fine, the parking brake works fine and the code reader shows no error codes. any suggestions?
@CP07;

That first thing that jumps to mind when you talk about the heater barely getting warm is a failing or failed heater core.

The service parking brake warning immediately sends up flags a broken or loose cable. Does your parking brake work properly?

That's all I have for you.....maybe someone else can chime in here. Here are a couple of threads about parking brake issues;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/9-problems-dealer-service/55697-parking-brake-does-not-stop-jeep-but-lever-doesnt-have-excessive-play.html

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/9-problems-dealer-service/33641-parking-brake-issues.html

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@CP07;

That first thing that jumps to mind when you talk about the heater barely getting warm is a failing or failed heater core.

The service parking brake warning immediately sends up flags a broken or loose cable. Does your parking brake work properly?

That's all I have for you.....maybe someone else can chime in here. Here are a couple of threads about parking brake issues;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/9-problems-dealer-service/55697-parking-brake-does-not-stop-jeep-but-lever-doesnt-have-excessive-play.html

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/9-problems-dealer-service/33641-parking-brake-issues.html
After posting I saw heffercows thread https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/68289-service-parking-assist-system.html which has some of the same symptoms, problem is mine wont give a computer readout for any connected fault. Brake is fine though - which in one way is reassuring (false positive) and in another way is worrying - is there a brake fault? ho hum......

my only previous experience of a faulty heater matrix (core) was on a VW - the matrix burst filling the car with steam and boiling water into the footarea. this one seems blocked so im having it flushed chemically by the garage/shop.

cheers though guys - ill let you know if i solve either of them.

meanwhile Im looking lustily at a nissan patrol - less electronics (only needs UN painting on its side) more mechanical than the jeep - which i love, but its proving to be a real PITA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts