Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm in the process of buying 2008 Commander limited Hemi with 54000 kms ( Canada ) and the dealership sent me pictures of the undercarriage, sounds to me there is quite some rust, will try to upload the pictures, but from your experience do those Commander rust easily?? usually just superficial or gets bad very quickly?

thanks!!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Generally, the Commander does NOT suffer from rust no more than any other vehicle, and is much better than past Jeeps of decades ago that were more prone to rust than average.

Bear in mind, Jeeps can be used in harsher conditions than most vehicles, and that can result in more rust. But many Jeeps now a days are bought by people just for the image and are never used off road.

Another factor is the typical car consumer is an idiot that doesn't know junior high school science or cars in general. So they can drive in the salt belt, never clean the underside or treat it and have all sorts of horrible rust despite the superior coatings and rust prevention being used by the manufacturers today.

I hate the old terms used for vehicles, it all confusing because even the industry applied to different things.

By undercarriage do you mean suspension? the bottom side of the body? the sub-frames? and by sub-frames do you mean the bolt up front and rear sub frames or the integral rails of the uni-body?

If its surface rust, i.e. you can see rust but there are no holes, no bubbling, no flaking, no crumbling, then you should be fine. Wash the underside thoroughly, let it dry, then use a wire brush to remove as much of the surface rust as you can and then treat it. Personally I use Rustoleums Rusty Metal Primer, it adheres to rusty metal and stops the rust (it has fish oil in it).

If we are talking suspension, axles or bolt up sub-frames, these are made of high strength and thick metal, even heavy surface rust is NOT going to be a problem.

Honestly, if its NOT obvious in the picture, you need to inspect in person and that is assuming you know what you're looking at.

If you see the paint bubbling up or crumbling, you have a serious rust problem. The owner should not have a problem with you poking at this rust, because he should have already and cleaned it up. If you can knock away the rust and see lots of good metal underneath you should be good. If the owner has a problem with you poking at it, then he is a rip off artist, cause that rust may crumble away and show a big hole behind it, and the owner should have fixed that and a potential buyer should know about it.

Also, if its just one or two small holes in non structural and stressed parts of the body or suspension, then any DIY'er can fix that with a dremel or grinder and the procedure I described above, plus some sheet metal from the local hardware store and some sheet metal screws and can of spray paint, and undercoating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input, you are right about people who forget about the underneath of the car and only wash their car even more talking about living in the snow belt! At least doing a regular annual rustproofing. By undercarriage I mean everything under, most of the rust is superficial for sure, but behind close to the suspension there's an important rectangular section going up and here the rust is quite important, man... need to find how to post those pictures! Do you have en e-mail I can send you the pictures?

At least here's the car the dealership is selling, http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Jeep/Commander/St-Eustache/Quebec/5_22301221_CT200463135851909/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=6_15_8

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts