Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone on here has installed a underhood light into the jeep. Ordered in a 15 bulb LED panel to mount under the hood and thinking about just wiring up to a switch vs. having it always on when you open the hood, any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have installed the Jeep accessory underhood lamp.
It has a mercury switch so it goes on anytime the hood is opened.
The lamp comes off the unit and has about 20 feet of wire that is on a spool built into the unit.
The lamp base has a magnet and a no-mar base.....you can stick it to a wheelwell at night for a tire change.
When done, the unit has a built in crank to reel in the wire and then re-attach the lamp to its mounting base.

Nice setup......same arrangement used to be found on G.M. vehicles back in the 70s through early 90s.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I have installed the Jeep accessory underhood lamp.
It has a mercury switch so it goes on anytime the hood is opened.
The lamp comes off the unit and has about 20 feet of wire that is on a spool built into the unit.
The lamp base has a magnet and a no-mar base.....you can stick it to a wheelwell at night for a tire change.
When done, the unit has a built in crank to reel in the wire and then re-attach the lamp to its mounting base.

Nice setup......same arrangement used to be found on G.M. vehicles back in the 70s through early 90s.

Rob
Pics ? Links ?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Pics ? Links ?
Well as usual I remind all that photos are...uh...they exceed my comprehension.
Link...yeah right.

But, it can be found in the first few pages of the 07 parts catalogue where the other accessories are.

Underhood Lamp Kit...P/N 82210853AB.
Fits Commander/Grand Cherokee/Liberty/Wrangler.
It retails for $82.25......trade net (cost plus 10%) $63.30

Rob

P.S. I agree.....was surprised at that price point it wasn't standard issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Robby for the info. Still can't decide what route I wan't to take on this project. Might just try to mount up a system with a switch located towards the front of the engine compartment, IDK keep Y'all posted....Happy Jeepin

·
Registered
417 Posts
http://www.wkjeeps.com/hoodlamp.htm

There are several LED lights out there that could be mounted under the hood that run on batteries and would have to be switched on by hand. Of course, this is for people like me who can't see the value in spending $70 on this mod. The only time I need to see under the hood would require a flashlight anyway to get light where I need it.

As an aside, my 1996 Tahoe had an factory underhood light with a 20 foot retractable cord that you could take to just about any point on the truck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mercury switches are cheap online maybe $4, I used one for a similar project on my last truck so that when I opened the hard bed cover the lights would come on. You could also use a pressure switch like remote starts use to disable if hood is up. Or just use a manual switch.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with bobula $70 is a little steep for a light and some wire. Probably just going to get this LED panel i've been looking at and wiring up to a switch towards the front to turn on and off when not in use. Should run me around $20 with the panel and switch, the extra $50 might just have to go towards beer for the install :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts