Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter and I were driving around in the fresh 2 inches of snow we got in Kansas City on Thurs. We came to a tee in the road, and what do i see....
a black BMW X5 stuck in the ditch. Obviously he didnt know the road came to an end! So I turned around and asked him if he was o.k. and if he wanted me to pull him out. He accepted. So I put her in low and yanked it out of the ditch(quite easily). When I was unhooking the strap I smelled gas....that X5 was spraying fuel out at the rear of the vehicle! I took my time rolling up the tow strap...hoping for some sort of currency...but to no avail...he said thanks and hopped back in his BMW and started dialing his phone... prick!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
your screen name says it all... foolishmortal, why would I (BMW owner) give you (Jeep owner) any money? :rofl:

·
Registered
397 Posts
The etiquette of this is pretty clear cut right?
If it was a women of any age, one would help with no tip.
A college boy or younger, no tip.
A male senior citizen, would have offered a tip, which of course would be politely refused.
A male friend or colleague, no tip, an offered one is a mild affront!
A male stranger, an assumed peer a tip is mandatory to preserve the social balance.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I think you should have pushed him back into the ditch and said "I will do that for no gratuity as well!" It is sad that people in this situation do not understand that they could give the helpful stranger $10 or $20 to get them out of a ditch or a lot more $$$$ to have a tow truck come and do the same thing. I do agree with sciron4x4, if you volunteer your service then you should not expect anything. If the driver had asked for help then you were right to expect something for your services.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did the BMW have Johnson Co. (Ks.) plates?
That would explain it.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Tow truck would have cost him a whole lot.

The help came from your heart, not your wallet.

Agree it would have been nice, even offering a small token would be
better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I have never even thought about receiving anything for towing people out of ditches or down the street. I think the humiliation factor for the BMW guy would be enough. I'd be grateful he didn't blame me for the fuel leak. However, I would slap a BMW sticker under my "Recovery Vehicle - On Duty" sticker to go along with the Ford and Chevy ones I already earned. =)

Also, maybe he had no cash - I know I rarely carry any paper money.

Edited to add: I also would have taken pictures and video of the recovery to post on YouTube. =)

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
However, I would slap a BMW sticker under my "Recovery Vehicle - On Duty" sticker to go along with the Ford and Chevy ones I already earned. =)
Any pics of this?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
He could of also been taken by the recession and had a nice car, clothes and no job...

Besides if he was really spraying fuel... he will need his $10 to cover the use of the pen he will use at the dealership to fill out the repair paperwork.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I will, when I remember to get some pics!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just want to pull people out for the fun of it. I don't expect any cash. Besides, if money changes hands the person has now paid you for a service and if there were any damages...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm grumpy today so I'm not going to say anything..................

·
Administrator
15,209 Posts
If you wanted to be paid for pulling him out you should have made a deal before hand. Personally, I just like helping people and don't expect anything for helping them.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
You should have pushed him back to where he was :)

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
However, if anyone is looking to make money by towing people out of ditches, they can put their name and number in the yellow pages. I figure if I get paid for it, it becomes a job, and I don't need another job.

The warm fuzzy feeling I get from helping others is good enough for me (or maybe I just get that feeling from the seat warmers, its hard to say).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts