Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After some cosideration of the Cobra 75, I elected on installing a Uniden 510; the performance of the 510 is somewhat better, and I found the small cubby to the left of the steering wheel on my 08 Commander to be a good place for the mount.

I removed the rubber mat in the cubby and the cubby was easy to remove; it's held in by four tabs that fit into slots in the dash.

Using a Dremel I sliced off @ 1/4" of the cubby to create an open, rather than sealed end. I then sliced through the plastic cubby with the Dremel, starting approximately 1/2" from the dash end, on each corner.

This created a hollow tube with four "fingers", allowing the CB to fit into the cavity, while the four sides of the tube gripped the radio. On the two "side" fingers I drilled two holes (one on each side) to allow mounting screws to secure the tube to the radio, using the built in sockets in the radio.

The 510 is almost a perfect fit for the cubby. It may prove necessary to remove the lower "finger" to uncover the speaker on the CB, or to brace the radio to keep the extra weight from causing the cubby tabs to loosen up over time, but for now I like the installation. I've not mounted the microphone yet, so do not have photos of how the radio looks with the mike cable attached.

I've not yet run the power or selected an antenna, the Uniden was a test fit, actually out of another vehicle, so I'll have to order in a new one.

HTH

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,181 Posts
FmrVette, posting your pics here so they will be easier to see. Very nice job !

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The antenna is still an issue; there's a very nice side mount that Firestik sells that would just about balance, on the driver's side, the stock radio antenna on the passenger side. But it appears the installation would require the removal of the inner fender liner - and even then it might not allow access. I'll have to check with the body shop and see.

A roof mount just won't be possible, the antenna would hit every branch in the neighborhood. And beside, the truck is already taller than I am...:)

·
Administrator
16,181 Posts

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Here is another link:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5203

Then look around here: Antenna Install This is how I ran my coax. Frenchjeeper and my thread run the wire thru the inside of the rear panel.

But I did virtually the same install and I like it, except I am righthanded and the mic is on the left side of the wheel. I will post a pic later showing how I handled the cord.but i love playing with my cb on the road!

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
That is a very clean install, Nice job.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeep5253, Cico7, thanks for the links! I appreciate the nice compliments from everyone, I'm used to working on a TJ and having actual upholstery and interior/exterior moldings to consider during mods is a challenge ;) .

Still undecided on the antenna mount, but won't be able to play with the XK until tomorrow morning.

I've had the Commander a week now, and it's been a very nice week.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Good install, that's the some place I mounted my 520XL and rack light switch.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
polarisengineer said:
Nice work. I mounted mine on the left side of the glove box door. They do still call it a glove box, I guess.....lol
Do you have a pic of your mount? I would like to see where others installed thiers....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Looks good. How did you get the box out? Did you have to tear the dash apart to get to the tabs, or did you just pull?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Antares said:
Looks good. How did you get the box out? Did you have to tear the dash apart to get to the tabs, or did you just pull?
I removed the rubber pad, then gently pulled on the box; it popped out with any trouble.

Once the radio was in for the test fit, and I wanted to removed the box, I had to use the flat blade of a small screwdriver to (gently) pry the box away from the dash. With the radio installed there's no place to really pull from without first prying the box out a bit.

HTH

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
the easy way to remove the box is to drop the panel under the dash. It is hinged and folds down. On the left side is the box. Give it a little squeeze and the box pops right out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the new CB radio in; wired in through the fuse box instead of directly from the battery. I want to see how much noise is generated before running through to engine bay. Ran a thru-the-glass antenna. I need to test the full range - from my driveway I was speaking to vehicles on a freeway @ 1.5 miles away. I don't need absolute maximum range. But I'll revisit the antenna after this week's road trip.

What I need now is an idea or two for mounting the mike; has anyone removed the front interior grab handles? I'm thinking the mike bracket would be well placed, but am not sure what the grab handles have behind the material covering. I don't want to drill into it to find out it won't hold the weight of the bracket & mike combination.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
I did something simular with a Midland 1001Z except that my space is of different size in the 06'.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update after 1000 mile road trip -

Significant engine noise in radio at highway speeds; I'll need to run the power cable directly from the battery, not from the fuse box, and perhaps add a filter.

An external speaker will be helpful; as anticipated, the bottom plastic "finger" blocks the onboard speaker. Not horribly, but an external speaker will alleviate the issue.

The temporary antenna (thru the glass, left rear window mount) worked fine for line-of-sight usage. A better antenna will obviously increase the range.

Only one really helpful CB communication this trip, I was informed of a traffic jam on I75 and was able to get into the "right" lane before things came to a screeching halt. The call came from a southbound 18 wheeler (I was on northbound 75) and was line-of-sight.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Can you snap a few pictures of your current antenna setup? Im trying to picture what it looks like.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
thru glass antennas have very poor ratings. They lose a lot going thru the windows.

The grab handles come off easily. Two screws and it pops right out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you snap a few pictures of your current antenna setup? Im trying to picture what it looks like.
Can do, but I wouldn't recommend using it unless you'll never want more than a mile or so of range in open territory. I picked up the Radio Shack model, about $50 - but I was in a hurry. A magnetic mount would have been a faster/cheaper/more productive solution, but the vehicle is tall enough already :).

I'll post the pics ASAP - it's a dark and rainy night here :icon7:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts