Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exited installed unistrut channel cross bars. Improvised what I saw on the forum. Parts are from 90% lowes/ 10% home depot. Let me know what you guys think took me a while to figure this out. But got it done!

Motor vehicle Sky Hood Automotive tire Tree
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Plant

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,198 Posts
Love Unistrut, have used them in many projects.

Welcome to the forum. Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Reactions: Izzym

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks like you made uprights from white PVC? PVC will deteriorate in the sunlight. Maybe paint it? I am curious if you tested one until it crushed to see how much weight it would take. OBTW- HD sells light duty pass-link chain by the foot that fits through the slots in the rails.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip on the chain link! I haven't tried testing the pvc. Somebody in the forum mentioned they use have half inch pvc and held up pretty good. So I used 1-1/2 to be safe. Going to have to paint it that's my next step. Wanted to make sure I had it functionally working. Hopefully it holds up pretty good after the paint job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love Unistrut, have used them in many projects.

Welcome to the forum. Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.
Thank you for welcoming me! Signature complete! Look forward to being part of this forum!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Exited installed unistrut channel cross bars. Improvised what I saw on the forum. Parts are from 90% lowes/ 10% home depot. Let me know what you guys think took me a while to figure this out. But got it done!
looks good! I used the same stuff for mine but notched, bent, and welded them back together so I didn't need the risers. the stuff is sturdy but will definitely sag if you put some heavy stuff in the middle (like the pressure treated 2x12x18 I got two weeks ago). you could always put one or two more cross-bars on in the middle to help distribute the weight. Or just keep the heavy stuff towards the edges. You have plans for anything specific up there?

·
Administrator
7,103 Posts

View attachment 43101
@Izzym

That looks very good;

I'd recommend painting them - maybe with a black bed-liner type of paint.

That would probably be your best bet, if you want a finish with a little bit of durability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts