Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changed the oil yesterday and noticed a very small leak from the front passenger side inner cv axle. it wasnt from the boot, but from the housing (transfer case or transmission?) the axle goes into. it was greyish in color. is there a seal there? if so what would it be called and how hard to replace?

on another note my transmission pan is slightly leaking. what type of permatex should i use when i change the gasket?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
As for the axle shaft/cv boot. The CV joints are usually packed with grease (grey in color) and the boot itself acts to seal that in. If there is a tear or rip in the boot the grease will leak out with the heat, pressure of normal driving. Probably in need of a new boot on the inner side. If it were diff fluid it would most likely be a brown or amber color. As for the trans pan.....Go to the parts store and get the preformed gasket. Permatex or any other gasket maker could get into the trans fluid even after it hardens and cause any of the many valves or ports to be clogged. Permatex is good for diffs (some anyway) or things of that nature but for a trans pan....Not so good.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the cv boots were dry. the grease was on the housing where the cv goes in. the fluid could have been dirty ill have to look again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts