Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 V8 Quadra-Trac II
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced lower control arms with moogs, new inner and outer tie rod s, new uppers also, new shocks,Munroe quickstruts, I put my spacers on the Munroes.
The problem is that at highway speeds the Jeep tends to wander, especially if it's windy, I'm having to constantly correct it. I'm at a loss trying to figure this out. I have already gotten an alignment and it still persists.

I'm wondering if maybe it is the rack, because I replaced inner tie rod s twice and may have twisted the rack since I only used one wrench.
Any ideas or tips as to what it could be?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you had an alignment done?

oh wait I see that you have... missed it on the first read

Are the tires new...the wear pattern could make it wander.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
192 Posts
Might be worth having them re-check the alignment. Could have done it incorrectly??

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,456 Posts
Did they do a "4 wheel" alignment? On my Commander I have to keep my hands on the steering wheel all the time or it drifts slightly everywhere. I always felt it needed more Camber. I have never had an alignment since I bought it, tire wear is normal.

·
Administrator
16,181 Posts
Did they do a "4 wheel" alignment? On my Commander I have to keep my hands on the steering wheel all the time or it drifts slightly everywhere. I always felt it needed more Camber. I have never had an alignment since I bought it, tire wear is normal.
@rblapham You can't do a 4 wheel alignment on a Commander. You can only adjust the front.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the second alignment in a few months time, it literally feels like the lowers are shifting an inch or two while I'm driving on the highway, everything is tight though.

I wonder about the Munroe quick struts, my next move is a camera under there while I drive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you had an alignment done?

oh wait I see that you have... missed it on the first read

Are the tires new...the wear pattern could make it wander.
New tires, it was doing this with the old tires too.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,456 Posts
OK maybe not a 4 wheel alignment but a "Thrust" alignment that checks the rear wheels with the front wheels so the Jeep is going straight.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thrust was good in the green. Only the left front tire was off on the caster by a degree ,I think it was a degree just barely touching the red. Front left tire caster 3.1

Attachments

·
Registered
Dallas TX
114 Posts
if its wants to jump when you provide steering input, i'd look at the toe in (notice it was red in the "before" alignment snapshot). when setting up for aurocross (miata), we go more neutral on the toe to have a more aggressive turn in. it does makes it feel 'jumpy' when driving on the highway on the way home. With as much new stuff you installed, i could see some things settling a bit affecting your alignment. toe in would provide a more stable feel, toe out would feel "nervous"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts