Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I was suffering the standard right side A pillar/footwell wetness and after searching on here did the usual checks. Drain tubes seemed fine and as I don't have cover to strip out the car without weather interference I booked it into a local body shop. They confirmed the drain tubes were ok and found water coming in at the rear of the sunroof glass at such a rate it was overwhelming the drains. He tried adjusting it up but still it leaked. Semi permanent solution was to seal it with butyl sealer which has cured it 100%, and can be removed if I decide to replace the glass and/or rubber. Given that this part of the world is generally wet and mild, or wet and cold, I am inclined just to leave it sealed.
Just checking though, does anyone know if the rubber seal around the sunroof glass can be bought separately, or is it the whole glass. Looking on line that seems to be the way of it....

2007 Commander 3.0 CRD Limited (with only 40k miles!:smile2:)

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that - I have looked on a couple of Stateside parts suppliers sites, but the line diagrams aren't clear.... I'll have a look.

·
Registered
38 Posts
2010 Jeep Commander Parts - Seal Sunroof - 5179187AA

OEM Jeep parts for your 2010 Commander in stock and ready to ship.

i think that this might be it. Search for the part number and it seems to come up on several sites. Im not seeing any pictures of it though unfortunately.
I can confirm that 5179187AA is the correct part number for the seal around the glass. I replaced it last year and got that number off a post from this forum. Here is a pic of what I replaced.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's brilliant friend, thank you. Not only the correct part but a nice clear photo showing how it fits too!

I will get one ordered.

Thanks again to everyone who replied:cheers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm... So next silly question.... does this fit the 2007? The seal on my car doesn't have the soft rubber part at the back.....:SM002:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe it is missing? I dont think that there were any changes in the sunroofs from year to year.
Well I picked up the seal today, and it isn't as thick as I thought from the photos. I think you are probably right that there were no changes to the sunroofs through the years, but I wonder if they changed the seal? Could be that given the issues with the car with sunroofs and drain tubes leaking they upgraded the seal on later models? The one on my car doesn't look as if it is missing anything, just a different design and not as thick or flexible. If my issue really was water coming in between the roof panel and glass, this should in theory fix it...

I will give it a try and report back in case anyone else finds themselves in this position.

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
Well I picked up the seal today, and it isn't as thick as I thought from the photos. I think you are probably right that there were no changes to the sunroofs through the years, but I wonder if they changed the seal? Could be that given the issues with the car with sunroofs and drain tubes leaking they upgraded the seal on later models? The one on my car doesn't look as if it is missing anything, just a different design and not as thick or flexible. If my issue really was water coming in between the roof panel and glass, this should in theory fix it...

I will give it a try and report back in case anyone else finds themselves in this position.
Very good, please keep us posted.

Also here is another resource for you in case you have some more specific questions and want to get the information straight from the horses mouth;

[email protected]

1-800-4A-DODGE (1-800-423-6343).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2010 Jeep Commander Parts - Seal Sunroof - 5179187AA

OEM Jeep parts for your 2010 Commander in stock and ready to ship.

i think that this might be it. Search for the part number and it seems to come up on several sites. Im not seeing any pictures of it though unfortunately.
Hi again guys, well as reported I got the seal and only this week got round to getting it fitted.... and it seems to have been a success! It was water tested and then washed with no leak:grin2:

So big thanks for the heads up on the part and the photos from Fastmunny. Huge help, and not overly expensive either when I got it done. I also got some extra reversing lights and a rear camera fitted and I will post some photos of those on the 'What did you do to your Commander today' thread.

I've also got all the parts to fit my new Pioneer radio so an update on that coming soon too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts