Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get ready to go get some lunch today, walk outside and see glass laying all over the ground at the back of my commander!!! I found my back glass broken out, nothing on the inside was stolen (Ipod, GPS) I call the cops, the come out and write up a police report and their explanation is "it could be the temperature change." The other one was "it could have been a factory defect." So now i'm stuck with the 'ol cardboard and duct tape back glass until Monday or Tuesday......Looks like i'm stuck with a $400 + bill for the glass and installation. Or $500 deductible to go through the insurance company...........Just needed to vent!!!!:(

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Was the glass mostly in back of XK, were it looked like it was hit from outside? If so thieves may have got spooked by something and ran off! Have not heard of windows popping out weather related or defective.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Temp change (unless there was a chip of some sort to start it)? They are idiots imo, could of been a pellet gun too. I have been through a series of temp changes and my rear glass on all my vehicles never shattered from that, now I have had windshields crack (from rock chips starts the cracks)

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I lost a rear window due to a temp change, it is not that uncommon.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was the glass mostly in back of XK, were it looked like it was hit from outside? If so thieves may have got spooked by something and ran off! Have not heard of windows popping out weather related or defective.
About 3/4 of the glass was on the ground behind the commander.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess it could have been from temp change, but it was 45-50 last night and no higher than 65 this morning when I found it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've heard of sunwindows cracking with temperature changes, but haven't heard of the back window breaking. My guess would be the pellet gun. Sorry for the loss.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Back in 1984, I had a new Skylark T-Type with a sun roof. It had been parked all day in the sun, at work. I took the top out, put it in the vinyl bag, placed it in the trunk, and when I got home, it was shattered. The dealer told me I dropped it - finally got it replaced under warrenty. So, it can happen!:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
...Looks like i'm stuck with a $400 + bill for the glass and installation. Or $500 deductible to go through the insurance company...........Just needed to vent!!!!:(
You might be able to have a glass company replace it where you will not have to pay deductible or not the full amount.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
You might be able to have a glass company replace it where you will not have to pay deductible or not the full amount.
That usually only works for windshields.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Has it been windy? When I was at Fort Carson, we would have big wind storms that would cause such dramatic pressure changes that back and side windows would blow out. They ever put out an advisory that everyone should keep a window cracked in order to avoid it. Heat can do it too, but I don't think 45 to 60 would be enough.

If you can get someone to put in writing that it was a defect in the glass, maybe it could be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
This is news to me and I have lived through Huge temp swings, and in various states. But I guess anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/13288772.html

"Those 85 mile an hour winds are forces as bad as category one hurricane winds. They were so strong on Saturday that ... and car windows to bust out.

The owner of one car whose window was busted out by the wind, Terri Willcox said she saw it happen with her own eyes. She was surprised to learn that such forceful winds could shatter a car window into a million pieces. Shards of glass are still left inside Willcox's vehicle. It all happened on the south side of Colorado Springs."

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It wasn't windy at all, anybody have any idea if I could claim this on my extended warranty?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
It wasn't windy at all, anybody have any idea if I could claim this on my extended warranty?
I seriously doubt it. Read it and think you'll find that the glass is excluded.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I seriously doubt it. Read it and think you'll find that the glass is excluded.
I dont have any of the paperwork handy. But, it is worth a try...i'll call the dealership Monday morning.

·
Registered
282 Posts
salvage yard probably has them cheap

·
Registered
512 Posts
The fact the glass was outside of the vehicle leads me to believe possible temp change or defect as it blew outwards. We had this happen at work, and our security cameras caught it on tape. Salvage yard might be the way to go, should just be a bolt in glass. Sucks no matter what the cause was.-43:icon_biggrin:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts