Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, hope you don't mind that I started a new thread for this, but here goes.

I'm going to be buying a Commander (4.7 with offroad package) to replace my Wrangler Unlimited (04, TeraFlex 3", 33"tires, bunch of other goodies). Problem is, the Commander will also be lifted, I'm leaning toward the Rocky Road or the Rusty's Offroad.

So, the reason for the thread...there is a TON of info on this forum and a few others about lifting Commanders, however, its all pretty spread out. So I was wondering if those of you who have done lifts for the Commander would be so inclined as to post your reviews of your lift, any problems encountered, what you did, tires/wheels etc.

My big plan is to do the the lift. Keep the stock wheels, but fit larger tires. I understand that this would likely mean somewhat narrow tires.

So, let's see what kind of info we can compile here in one place.

TIA....

·
Registered
136 Posts
There are actually several threads with info re. lifts. But be aware.
The so-called Commander is a restyled Cherokee with greater wind resistance, more weight but alas, the same small gas tank. Be ready to run out of gas in 200 miles and 12 miles per gallon. It is a nice car otherwise, but looking back 3 months, I have not done the shopping job too well...:mad:

·
Registered
107 Posts
mikey said:
There are actually several threads with info re. lifts. But be aware.
The so-called Commander is a restyled Cherokee with greater wind resistance, more weight but alas, the same small gas tank. Be ready to run out of gas in 200 miles and 12 miles per gallon. It is a nice car otherwise, but looking back 3 months, I have not done the shopping job too well...:mad:
Ah, don't let Mikey discourage you. There are many benefits to a small gas tank like....right now they all escape me! It is true that the tank is to small but I love the vehicle any ways. It does stink to have to go to the gas station twice a week under city type driving connditions.

But back to the lift stuff. There are a couple of us, three I think now, that have lifted the JC's. I believe we all used the Rocky Road lift. My basics are as follows:

Mickey Thompson 17" x 9" wheels with a 5" backspacing
BFG TKO's 265/70 R17 (these are some wide tires at the contact patch. I should of gone with the MTR's from Goodyear)
And I suffer through slight rubbing which will be fixed by some minor tweaking to the location of the Rear AC & heater lines that run in the passengers front fender well.

Other than the slight but noisy rubbing I am completely happy with the outcome. I have yet to really trail ride this thing but that is coming this weekend and it will do Jeep Jamboree in Oct at Murphy NC. Time will tell if this thing holds up. If not, it is going back, in stock form, as a trade for a Rubicon.

·
Registered
396 Posts
RR 2.25 inch lift with DT8000 shocks went in this Friday. Only had a couple days, so still evaluating it, but seems fine so far. Definitely feels better height wise - I like the new height. Going to Big Bear off road in a couple weeks. Still working on tires and wheels - but having a problem determining suitable fitment.

·
Registered
142 Posts
mikey said:
The so-called Commander is a restyled Cherokee with greater wind resistance, more weight but alas, the same small gas tank. Be ready to run out of gas in 200 miles and 12 miles per gallon. It is a nice car otherwise...
Maybe a Hemi will get the gas numbers above. My 4.7 L gets around 15-16 driving around town and 18+ on the highway at 60-65 MPH. The only time I've seen 12 is when I'm pulling a trailer. Even at my low end mileage of 15, that give a range of 270 miles + about 35 miles reserve.

Yes, the tank could be bigger and maybe it will in the future. On the other hand, with the spare tire loaded under the rear, maybe the 20.6 gallon tank is all they can fit in the space.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's another instance of better-than-Mikey mileage -- my Commander (9900 miles since October 30) w/ 4.7 V8 gets about 300 miles per tank, more if it's mostly highway. Not sure how Mikey is driving to get those much lower numbers. It's clear he HATES his truck.

And of course, the Commander's based on the current Grand Cherokee, not the old no-longer-made Cherokee.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
274 Posts
Very good replies reguarding the gas tank non-issue.:rolleyes: I love the new "better-than-Mikey mileage" comment :D. Opps, almost tried to hijack your thread talking about gas tanks, you were talking about lifts.:rolleyes: :) My wife won't let me lift her XK,,,,,,,,,,,yet.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I got some spacers from Fred Goeske of Canoga Park, CA this morning. 5x5 bolt pattern so I can use the factory 17 inch wheels and fit some 265/70 17's.

They machined them on the spot at their shop, and I was good to go.

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maximo, I bet my garage is worse than yours. We should post pictures and have a contest for the messiest garage. Just kidding, I'm ashamed of mine and the wife is always on me to clear it out but I hate to get rid of stuff. I did make room for the new Commander though. Right next to the Grand Cherokee and behind the Harley. Toys, toys, toys.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I am starting to get my own collection of Jeep OEM stuff. I kept the stock rear shocks when the DT8000's went in. I can add to my collection of brake calipers, rotors, wheels, struts, etc. from other vehicles. You never know when you might need them. (never)...I bought a bunch of those chrome wire shelves from Costco. That helps. The junk can go on the top shelves, never to see the light of day again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
SYCOHEMI said:
I am starting to get my own collection of Jeep OEM stuff. I kept the stock rear shocks when the DT8000's went in. I can add to my collection of brake calipers, rotors, wheels, struts, etc. from other vehicles. You never know when you might need them. (never)...I bought a bunch of those chrome wire shelves from Costco. That helps. The junk can go on the top shelves, never to see the light of day again.
Syco, I think you win the award for most impressive signature for a Commander... :cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Man you sound like me. I have shelves of OEM Harley carbs and exhausts going back to 1978. I keep thinking I will pick up an old junker and want to restore it to original. Never happen! I finally gave away some OEM wheels off a 90 Wrangler Laredo.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Haags. You'd like the license plate on my R1100S Boxer Cup motorcycle.

It's MTR SYCO.

Gets laughs everytime. I used to have SYCO SUV on my Supercharged Tahoe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"And of course, the Commander's based on the current Grand Cherokee, not the old no-longer-made Cherokee"

99.9% sure it actually was based off the older no longer made (awesome) Jeep Cherokee. They made the Commander in response to upset Cherokee enthusiasts as well to cover the third row crowd.

·
Administrator
16,153 Posts
"And of course, the Commander's based on the current Grand Cherokee, not the old no-longer-made Cherokee"

99.9% sure it actually was based off the older no longer made (awesome) Jeep Cherokee. They made the Commander in response to upset Cherokee enthusiasts as well to cover the third row crowd.
The Commander indeed uses the Grand Cherokee platform. Chrysler took the Grand Cherokee platform and added a few inches to the rear and put the Commander body on it. The Commander is basically the Grand Cherokee with a different body and interior.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"While the Jeep Wagoneer was the Commander's initial inspiration, it was built upon the WK Grand Cherokee and resembled the discontinued third generation Jeep Cherokee (XJ), as well as the second generation KK Jeep Liberty"

Even the Liberty gets in on the mix....I think the Commander is the best of all worlds!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts