Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals, I'm new to the forum and have been a 2007 hemi commander owner for just over 2 years now. I absolutely love the car but with the ever increasing fuel prices the heavy fuel bill is hurting a little when towing my boat.

Has anyone tried to upgrade their pre 2009 model hemi to VVT AND MDS?
Is it possible to do by just changing a few parts or is a complete motor change and wiring harness necessary?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would think you'd be looking at an entirely new motor, but I'll be interesting in seeing what those with more experience say.

That said, I'm happy that fuel prices have been consistently dropping in my part of the world. The cheapest fuel in *years* has brought more pleasure back to my driving.

·
Registered
180 Posts
2007 has MDS, but it's not going to help you when you're towing a boat. Ratings for 2009+ are only up 1 mpg for highway and down 1 mpg for city.

If gas mileage is what you seek, most are going to tell you to buy a different vehicle, but some of us have had luck with the Flashpaq tuner on the Mileage XS tune. I am running the 87 octane performance tune and getting more power with the same mileage (and bigger tires), and I plan on switching to the Mileage XS tune tonight for my 200 mile trip to see if it makes any difference. Some have reported substantial increases.

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts
Has anyone tried to upgrade their pre 2009 model hemi to VVT AND MDS? Is it possible to do by just changing a few parts or is a complete motor change and wiring harness necessary?
All model years of HEMI Commanders have VVT and MDS.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you tow, buy new gears. Nitro gear makes a 4:10 set for under $1000. Then another $300 for a programmer to tune the gear and your rig for better economy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you tow, buy new gears. Nitro gear makes a 4:10 set for under $1000. Then another $300 for a programmer to tune the gear and your rig for better economy.
Have you used this system in your own Commander or know of someone that has?

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts
Have you used this system in your own Commander or know of someone that has?
You don't need new gears for towing. The HEMI tows just fine as it is. Just use the TOW/HAUL button.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts