Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2007 US version Commander with REC navigation and am looking to upgrade the head-unit but leave Boston Acoustics amp, speakers and VES intact.

I have read countless of forum posts and information over the internet and have already bought:
PAC C2R-CHY4 [link] -- to connect the aftermarket radio to Jeep connectors
PAC SWI-CP5 [link] -- to accomodate and program steering wheel controls
Metra 40-CR10 [link] -- to connect the existing FM antenna

I am fairly sure I can work our the details of the above stuff and connect it using various manuals and color coded wires. However, I am still getting my head around connecting the existing backup (reverse) camera. I am absolutely not sure what and where to connect.

My Jeep is a 2007 version, so the backup camera uses a 3-pin C3 radio connector (see here). The connector contains cam return, cam signal and cam shield wires (see scheme here). Aftermarket headunits usually have a cinch (RCA) connector.

My questions are:
1) Will just somehow connecting the 3 wires to a 2-wire RCA plug work? Will the camera image initiate once I shift to Reverse?
2) Or do I need to connect some other wires, such as Reverse output from a CAN connector, or something like that?

I have also checked the PAC CHYRVD as it was mentioned in one of the manuals, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with Commander.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I could also do with knowing this! I've spent several hours trying to get a backup camera working with my commander. I have taken out one of the tail lights, and connected the red wire from the camera to the red reverse wire, and the black to the black one the bottom reverse light. I then connected the single red wire that came with the 10m of video cable to the same red cable, and at the head unit I connect the other red wire to the orange reverse orange/black wire.

When I select reverse NOTHING happens grrrr. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Following. I've been curious about this too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did anyone figure this out? Repaced my NAV unit with a Kenwood - and I am tempted to open up the backup cam wire and splice it into an RCA. Not sure which wires would go where? The RCA comes with 2 wires, while the factory has 3. Any suggestions on which ones to use? TIA!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts