Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Hi! I am planning to upgrade stock to performance wheels. Any suggestions what brand to buy?
Performance Wheels? Ummmm, while there is such a thing, I suspect you just want a different wheel than stock, like most people that buy "aftermarket" wheels.

Since there are wheels that would provide a performance improvement from a dozen different aspects, what performance aspect are looking to improve upon with new wheels?

Reduction of unsprung weight or rotational inertia?
Larger tire approach angle/climb?
Better bead retention for airing down to lower levels off road?

Many aftermarket performance wheels will improve/decrease one aspect over the other, so it really depends on your performance priorities which is the best selection, otherwise it would be a counterproductive selection.

OR, are you just looking for a dope set of rims for your ride? If that's the case, I'd go over to tirerack.com and look at their choices, they'll have a tool that will show what the rims will look like on your vehicle, plus articles about upgrading tire/wheel sizes.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Performance Wheels? Ummmm, while there is such a thing, I suspect you just want a different wheel than stock, like most people that buy "aftermarket" wheels.

Since there are wheels that would provide a performance improvement from a dozen different aspects, what performance aspect are looking to improve upon with new wheels?

Reduction of unsprung weight or rotational inertia?
Larger tire approach angle/climb?
Better bead retention for airing down to lower levels off road?

Many aftermarket performance wheels will improve/decrease one aspect over the other, so it really depends on your performance priorities which is the best selection, otherwise it would be a counterproductive selection.

OR, are you just looking for a dope set of rims for your ride? If that's the case, I'd go over to tirerack.com and look at their choices, they'll have a tool that will show what the rims will look like on your vehicle, plus articles about upgrading tire/wheel sizes.
Nailed it :banana_hitit:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pardon me for my ignorance since i'm a new jeep owner. Thanks for the detailed info, by the way. Now I know it's called "aftermarket" rather than performance. I usually drive on light off-road trails, so i'm trying to look for set of wheels that's good for it.

Im gonna check your site suggestion. Thanks @Mongo!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pardon me for my ignorance since i'm a new jeep owner. Thanks for the detailed info, by the way. Now I know it's called "aftermarket" rather than performance. I usually drive on light off-road trails, so i'm trying to look for set of wheels that's good for it.

Im gonna check your site suggestion. Thanks @Mongo!
Here's a few also to check, off road and mud tires are usually heavy so you may need to check lighter aluminum alloy wheels such as Eagle, Ion, XD, etc.
http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/jeep/commander
http://4wheelonline.com/jeep/Jeep_Wheels.20743

·
Registered
139 Posts
yea Aftermarket wheels. Performance wheels tend to be more for racing and such... such as Forged light weight wheels..something to do with unsprung weight?? to increase acceleration

1 - 7 of 7 Posts