Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The angle of the upper control arm and balljoint after a lift looks like it puts stress on the balljoint. Has anyone got comments about the life expectancy of the upper balljoints after a lift?

·
Registered
47 Posts
just did my lift and I was wondering the same. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Judging by the looks of the setups, not by personal experience, the stress would be greater on downward travel of the joint.

Lifting it puts it in an angle which is not the normal rest position. Then you add in that most are lifting for a bigger tire, which will be a lot heavier.

That combo alone, angle+more weight, will lead to eventual failure... Eventual really depends on how you are driving it. I play on the rocks, so I have upgraded the ball joints when I bought the Jeep By Al upper control arms. I have upgraded them again by getting the new version of his ball joint which allows for just a tad more angle and is beefier.

If you are a street driver, with occasional trail, I would not worry as much if the original equipment is in good shape.

Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put the RC lift on my 07 commander, and per recommendations I ordered some JBA UCAs. Is there anything else stressed by the lift that I should change out? Or would they all be on an "as needed" basis?

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts