Jeep Commander Forum banner

Used Commander Opinions

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Phunkeydude 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new here and in the market for a Jeep Commander. This vehicle will be the daily driver for my wife and maybe I will get to use it some too. I have pretty much decided I want a 4X4. I don't need it, but I want it. I have run across 2 used commanders and was curious as to which one you thought would be a better vehicle. Is there anything I should check into with either model?
1) 2006 Commander 4.7 V8 36k miles 4X4 - $16,900
2) 2008 Commander 3.7 V6 43k miles 4X4 - $15,800

Thanks

#2 ·
My two cents: I have a 2006 4.7L V8 with a 3k less miles, and I know there are a some members with the 3.7 that wish they had the extra power. Mine is a daily driver, and I drive mainly in stop & go traffic city traffic with a few stretches of open roads. If gas mileage is an issue, you may consider the 3.7, yet again, you are buying a Commander so gas mileage is probably not your biggest concern.

If you have any inclination of offroading, consider the package options. I had to go back and add a hitch, tow hooks, and skid plates.
I sometimes wish I had leather but can live without it. The only option I personally regret not having is the 3 moon roofs. In addition to the offroad options, look at other package differences between the two. Color, radio, roof cross bars, wheels and tires, remote start, and so many others are personal preference – some of which can be added at a later time. You have the power of choice and there are a ton of great deals out there! Either way – the Commander is a great purchase! :cheers:

#3 ·
If the price is that close, go for the V8. The slightly higher V6 MPG isn't enough of a difference to deal with the lack o' power. The 4.7L also has a better transmission under it.

#4 ·
Hello everyone! I am new here and in the market for a Jeep Commander. This vehicle will be the daily driver for my wife and maybe I will get to use it some too. I have pretty much decided I want a 4X4. I don't need it, but I want it. I have run across 2 used commanders and was curious as to which one you thought would be a better vehicle. Is there anything I should check into with either model?
1) 2006 Commander 4.7 V8 36k miles 4X4 - $16,900
2) 2008 Commander 3.7 V6 43k miles 4X4 - $15,800

Thanks
Welcome To The Forum!!!!

I understand the bolded statement completely! :thumbsup:

Since the options and prices are so close....I'd pick the one that has the color I like most!!!!! (that's if they're different colors).

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. From what I have seen so far, the differences are few.
$1k price difference which I hope to lower
1 has a receiver hitch / 1 does not
1 is tan / 1 is silver

The commander with the V6 is a local dealer where the V8 is about 40 miles away.

#6 ·
Get the V8 for a number of reasons. Better 4wd system, better tow capacity, better reserve power and almost the same mpg. If you and your wife drive conservatively, that will make more difference than the engine.

#7 ·
Get the V8, You will never regret getting a V8 but you might regret getting the V6. Someday you might want to go wheeling or pull a trailer or drive fast.

#8 ·
V8 all the way. No one has regretted extra power so far.

#13 ·
I concur

I haven't regretted it

#10 ·
I have to concur with everyone else. Get the V-8. I had a 4.7L and I loved it. When I got my current one I went all out and got an 06 Limited with a Hemi. My milage for the Hemi is a little lower but not by much. I would definately do what Ranger said and get a Carfax report on both vehicles. Ask the dealers to give you one they should be willing to give your one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.