Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Fram has several lines of Oil Filters and they are of varying quality, but considering the inferior quality of their "Orange" filter, I just stay away from Fram Oil Filters.

There are more sources than this original post, just cut one open yourself, offering credible evidence that the "Orange" Frams are inferior.

As far as, "I've used Fram Filters for Years and Never had a problem", lots of people use inferior products for years and never have a problem, lots of people use other filters for years and never have a problem. BUT, the number of people that have used Fram Filters for years and did have problems is far higher than the others. I know some people that did, I've cut them open myself as well, they're crap and I won't use them. At the very least the anti-drain back valve seals against their cardboard end caps, which means it doesn't seal, which means the oil drains journals in the engine while it sits and your starting your motor without oil and running it much longer than other other filters.

Genuine "Mopar" Filters. Umm, Mopar buys their filters in big lots and always goes with the lowest bidder to slap the Mopar Label on the outside. Years ago, they even had a few runs of the old Orange Frams. From best I can tell, Mopar doesn't do that anymore, I haven't heard or seen anything to indicate "Mopar" filters are inferior like Fram. Personally, I'm NOT convinced Mopar filters are superior, NOR I know what I'm getting. In a pinch, I wouldn't hesitate to use a Mopar Filter, but if I'm going to spend my money I'm going to get something that I know is the best.

Yes, Mobil1 filters may be the best, but they cost 3 times as much as filters that are very close to them.

I use Hastings Oil Filters, I've cut them open they are better than the others, much more surface area on the media, pleats are separated, good sealing bypass valve and anti-drain backs, etc. AMSOIL, before they started marketing their own brand of oil filters, sold Hastings Filters.

Purolator One's and Wix Filters I will use as well.

I thought I read somewhere that the NAPA filters are Wix Filters, AMSOIL also refers to and recommends Wix filters as well.

K&N Oil Filters also have a great reputation, but are expensive and hard to find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Napa Gold filters are manufactured by Wix, but they go for upwards of $10-$12, so Napa is pretty fond of them. I've gotten Wix filters from O'Reilly's for ~$6.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts