Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the 2.25" lift and bigger tires, the stock jack just doesn't cut it. Planning on adding supersliders, I ordered a Hi-Lift all cast jack because I found a good deal. I know the supersliders are curved and not ideal for the HiLift, but can you make it work?

I wonder if adding the bumper lift or the lift mate could work (using the lift mate on one of the wheels and then putting a jack stand under it). What do most people use?

Please note, I did a search but it won't look for "hi" because it is too common.

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
After the 2.25" lift and bigger tires, the stock jack just doesn't cut it. Planning on adding supersliders, I ordered a Hi-Lift all cast jack because I found a good deal. I know the supersliders are curved and not ideal for the HiLift, but can you make it work?

I wonder if adding the bumper lift or the lift mate could work (using the lift mate on one of the wheels and then putting a jack stand under it). What do most people use?

Please note, I did a search but it won't look for "hi" because it is too common.
Not sure if you are asking in reference to changing a tire or for recovery, but for changing a tire I carry extra 2x4's, about 18 inches long, to build up a base for the OEM jack. I only use my hi-lift for recovery. I would not recommend using the hi-lift for changing a tire. If you have never used one, take the time and read the instructions and then take it out and use it. They are a little unusual to use at first. I think once you have used it will see why you would not want to change a tire with it. They are very unstable.

I think even in conjunction with a jack stand I would not want to leave the vehicle on the hi-lift while I was trying to get the jack stand set up. If you had someone to help it might be a different story.

For recovery, I've always had good luck using the hi-lift.

I have never used the bumper lift or lift mate, but would have to believe they would be useful.

Not sure if this helps, and I may have told you what you already know.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Phunkeydude used on on his rock rails in Sedona and they worked great.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have the same setup you describe and yes, you can lift on the supersliders, however the frame is at about the same level so I usually lift there just to be safe. Either way, the stock jack is a little too short. When removing tires I lift under the lower control arm and then place a jack stand under the frame.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very useful, thanks everyone! I guess I could've given more information. For changing the tire, I would only use the Hi-Lift jack to get the vehicle high enough off the ground to put a jack stand under it. I have a large floor jack at home, but its not ideal for offroad or keeping in the Commander - and I jack from the lower control arm/diff with that. I've used a hi-lift before and would mainly keep it on the XK for recovery, I can definitely see where the lift mate could come in handy there. I would want to use it for tire changing if I was on or off the road and couldn't change it at home (You had some great point hurstrescue!)

But I am still wondering if you use the hi-lift w/ no accesory on the supersliders or if I should purchase the bumper lift (Which could probably be used for the front end on a D-ring of the GetLost bumper). This worries kind of originate from a49ers and other posts here. Should I just get the adapters jeep5353 found?

Finally, Haags and others commented on just jacking from the frame. How did you get the hi-lift on the frame? Wouldn't it rip off the the plastic side molding? Or did you mean that you just used the stock jack. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Maybe he is a long lost brother. Farther along in the series of Jeepers

Back on the subject of the Hi Lift jacks. I used one alot with my Wrangler when I would do the Rubicon and other similar trails. I always thought that the best feature of the jack was the fact that you could raise the Jeep up off an obstruction and then just push it off the jack. They really are not very stable, but they are great for getting up and off rocks and such.

They are also very versatile when used to clamp or as a very short pulling tool when used like a come-a-long.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I always thought that the best feature of the jack was the fact that you could raise the Jeep up off an obstruction and then just push it off the jack.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that does this. Except on this side of the country it is not so much the rocks, but the deep ruts dug over time on the trails.

·
2,248 Posts
I have not done that lately to the Commander, But I did it all the time on the TJ. The main thing is to not mess up the sheet metal doing it. It works well with nerf bars, bumpers and any strong and well attached points. Just jack it way up and slide it sideways off the jack and end up in another spot. Sometimes we even did it a few times to rotate the front or back off some object. I mentioned it because I agree that it is not very stable at all for anything that requires you to be under or next to the vehicle while it is up on a Hi Lift jack.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Finally, Haags and others commented on just jacking from the frame. How did you get the hi-lift on the frame? Wouldn't it rip off the the plastic side molding? Or did you mean that you just used the stock jack. Thanks again
Sorry if I wasn't clear - I was speaking about the stock jack. I don't have a hi-lift.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
the stock jack works just fine for changing tires. i have plenty of lifting capacity left with 32" tires.

how are you going to jack a commander with a highlift and plastic bumpers?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just to add..Pre commander,I have had a couple close calls with my Hi-lift changing tires! I suggest you work quick. A couple turns on each lug nut will keep the wheel on even if the vehicle falls to the ground. I had a vehicle that was on level concrete just decide to lean over and spit the jack, seconds after the last lugnut was hand tightened.
Secondly, another time when lowering it started pumping the handle up and down wildly. Keep a firm grip on that handle, thank God(literaly)I was only grazed by the handle moving at such a rapid pace.
Everyone probably knows these shortcomings, but as a young man I didn't.

I used my hilift on a 49 International pickup I have. It fit great on that bumper. Worked effortlessly. I guess it likes moving old metal better. It is definitely a good tool, just like a chain saw it weeds out the dummies!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts