Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for hunting and off road, isn't the best gear box or transfer case, better with a low range than just the high range quadratrac1?

I was tempted to purchase a '09 Commander v-6 but it does not have a low range.:icon_confused:

What is your opinion?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
It depends on whether you mean off-road forest trails or off-road rock climbing and other aggressive off-roading. I rarely put mine in 4LO. I go north in Michigan hunting and drive on forest two tracks. But if you want the flexibility to do it in the future, then I would shop for a V8 with QuatraTracII or QuadraDriveII.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Ok, for hunting and off road, isn't the best gear box or transfer case, better with a low range than just the high range quadratrac1?

I was tempted to purchase a '09 Commander v-6 but it does not have a low range.:icon_confused:

What is your opinion?

Thanks,
You are absolutely correct. If you plan on going off road it is best to stay away from the V6. Not only do they not have 4 Low but they also come with 3.07 gears instead of the 3.73's. If thats what you plan on doing then you will regret buying a V6.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a V6 and have never needed 4lo. I have pushed it too - From 2 ft of snow to mud & sand hunting in northern WI. I do have all terrain tires which help a lot, the stock tires are garbage. Dont listen to guys making assumptions based on the fact that they have a 4.7 or 5.7. If your a medium duty off roader dont worry about it. But, one thing I do not like is about the V6 is 200 hp with 15/19 mpg when you can go with 300 hp 4.7 and get 14/18 (and maybe have 4lo for the 2 times you will need it in the time you own your XK).

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you are not going tow or go off road thru the wilderness, the V6 is fine. However, the 5.7 is best for towing while the 4.7 does it all with decent gas mileage, has the low and the 3.73 as was stated.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have a V6 and have never needed 4lo. I have pushed it too - From 2 ft of snow to mud & sand hunting in northern WI. I do have all terrain tires which help a lot, the stock tires are garbage. Dont listen to guys making assumptions based on the fact that they have a 4.7 or 5.7. If your a medium duty off roader dont worry about it. But, one thing I do not like is about the V6 is 200 hp with 15/19 mpg when you can go with 300 hp 4.7 and get 14/18 (and maybe have 4lo for the 2 times you will need it in the time you own your XK).

Again it all comes down to how hard he plans on wheeling his vehicle like stated above. If he is just going to do light trail riding then he would be fine. If he plans on doing anything more then that then he'd be better off with the 4 Low period. Especially if he plans on ever lifting it, and ill bet $1000 that once he takes it down the trail the first time he will want to lift it. Jeeps are a disease. Its addicting. Then if he wants to lift it and put larger tires on it he still has the under powered v6 with a higher gear ratio. There is no way a v6 commander would make it down the trails I drive on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've got the 3.7 with the QT1 and I've told my wife that I'll get the 4.7 or the 5.7 (hopefully the 5.7) next. It's a great vehicle and I haven't gotten stuck yet but for towing, it just struggles a little... Fuel economy is the same and I'd rather have the extra power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts