Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my last spark plug change i had oil in about half of the plug wells and now ive noticed oil leaking from underneath the coils. Time to replace the valve cover gaskets.

Fairly straight forward repair? I havent opened it up yet, so i was wondering how the plug well gaskets are installed.

My mechanic wants almost $300 to replace both left and right. Ouch. Id imagine this is something i can tackle on a saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I haven't done it on a Hemi, so maybe there is something I don't see in the pictures that complicates it more, but I've done it on other modern engines. If anything it was a little easier than old valve cover gaskets because the new silicone gaskets do NOT bake on the cover or head, just remove, clean it up and replace the gasket and put it back together.

Follow the instructions or FSM to the letter for the gasket. First time I blew off the instructions, figured I had a better idea, and added RTV to the gasket, when it said not to. Sure enough it leaked right away. Next time around, I did it by the letter to the instruction, just a tiny bead at the sharp corners, it is still sealing perfectly after years.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
How many miles on your HEMI? I'm curious because mine is just shy of 120k. BTW, if you can, post pics and a narrative of the repair process; I bet a lot of us would find it useful. Cheers. Jorge

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Here is a picture from the service manual. Looks like the valve cover gasket has the seal around the plug areas, no mention of anything special for the plugs.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I could be very wrong, because I have never done a Hemi, but another recent Chrysler engine, which judging by the picture (which really isn't a good way to judge), it looks like very similar. The valve cover will have a channel around the outer edge and the spark plug holes, a very thick and spongy silicone gasket will fit within the channel. Like I said, it doesn't bake on like the old cork flat gaskets, so removal should be nothing more than pulling the old gaskets out, cleaning it thoroughly so it is clean and dry (that includes the sealing surfaces on the head) and putting in the new gasket.

If there are very sharp corners (doesn't look like it in the diagram) or if there is some sort of interruption in the sealing surface on the head (that can create a gap, no matter how small) you should put a tiny bead of RTV over it, the instructions should tell you where to do this.

There will probably be large rubber grommets, for the bolts/studs, to keep oil from leaking out the bolts. Its possible the bolts on this cover are all outside the seal, thus they wouldn't leak oil and might NOT have the large rubber grommets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone. I went ahead and had my mechanic replace the valve cover gaskets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts