Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Commander, about 2 months ago when pulling into traffic on a highway, I need to accelerate to "get up to speed" when I let off the gas the vehicle continued to accelerate on me, braking does not work to slow or stop the vehicle. I took it in, had a new trottle kit put in, and it seemed fine. Yesterday I was at a red light, and when I went to pull out, it "jitty up'd" on me, I threw it into Neutral, but the brakes wouldn't work, the engine continued to rev. I pulled into the Walmart parking lot. I turned off the vehicle, started it back up, and it was like I had the gas floored, the RPM's were at 4. It took me about 5 attempts of turning the vehicle on and off to finally calm it back down. I took it back to the dealership, they hooked it up to the computer, it showed NOTHING. They test drove it, NOTHING. I am supposed to have a co-pilot put into to in so the the next time I drive it, I can "record" what is going on, but, if someone else is having/had the same problem I would be sooooo grateful!!
I love the Commander, but as right now I'M SCARED TO DEATH OF IT. :icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
When it sticks... Does the peddle stay down or up (is it linkage system?)?

I threw it into Neutral, but the brakes wouldn't work, the engine continued to rev.
Braking will NOT effect engine throttle, it will slow/stop the vehicle but not the motor.

Still sounds like the original problem was not fixed and should be addressed once again.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Your brakes should always be able to stop you, even if the engine is revving like crazy. This reminds me a little bit of the old Audi unintended acceleration debacle from years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pedal is fine. As for bringing up that the brakes don't help, the dealership asked me if I had the cruise control on..I don't use it, and even if I did the brakes would disengage it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been looking online. I have found some old posts from about one to two years ago, of similar problems with the Jeep line from 06 and 07..but no one posted what the problem turned out to be...ugh..

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
The pedal is fine. As for bringing up that the brakes don't help, the dealership asked me if I had the cruise control on..I don't use it, and even if I did the brakes would disengage it.

So what exactly are you saying? That the brakes don't stop the car, or that the brakes don't stop the engine from revving?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I've had the accelerator stick down in all kinds of vehicles, lack of maintenance on really old cars, home made accelerator cables (from engine swaps) and poor heaters letting snow build up on the floor are some of the causes I have experianced ... although none of these seem likley in your case of course.

The drill is to shut down the engine FIRST ... the key is right there, just shut it off, if you're breaking at the same time that's fine but SHUT IT DOWN!

I was bit angry at a Sunday driver and pulled out to pass them right in town once and the gas pedal stuck down in my old van (350 4 barrel with 4:56 gears) ... I shut off the key and got stopped before the next light safley ... for repair I just pulled up the pedal and sprayed the cable at both ends with WD40 ... if only things were so simple nowadays

On line I have read a number reports of Jeeps (and other cars) accelerating for no apperent reason :(

It looks to me like a few of them are some kind of computer or wiring short or fault ... very hard to track down too ... after people have driven into houses even a full police investigation cannot find out why, in more than on case the driver was criminaly charged

... I'd say many of these can certainly be attributed to the driver punching the gas instead of the break ... I've actually seen it happen ... once they start pushing the gas and the car does not stop, they push it harder and harder and honestly belive they are pushing on the break

Obviously this is not what happened in your case you were accelerating and it just stuck on

Like the stall out thread, all I can recommend is PRACTICE shutting down so you can react in an emergency, besides the obvious safety issue, this simple drill could eliminate the criminal charges, if the uncontroled acceleration caused damage or harm

I hope to heck the dealer can figure it out, Good luck .. keep us posted

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have seen the gas for the brake routine. Watched a lady pull into a parking spot and mash what she thought was the brakes and watch her brand new explorer ram the building she was in front of.

I have had aftermarket floor mats cause this issue because it wasn't molded to the floor of the vehicle I was in or it moved forward and caught the bottom part of the gas pedal.

Again not claiming any of these are issues your facing just what I have experienced.

Follow Yeggster's advice and shut down your vehicle immediately and pull over or what not. This will save engine damage and help hopefully make a bad situation safer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me go into detail what happened in both incidents. When I gave the vehicle some gitty up into flowing traffic, alittle acceleration, the vehicle will continue with acceleration, in fact it goes into a very high acceleration even when I have my foot on NO PEDAL. The engine revs loudly, and the RPMS go high, and the vehicle continues to gain momentum, even with me trying to break. When I put the vehicle into Neutral, the RPM's continue to rev. and the vehicle will not break. I literally have to drive with my foot on the break. It's almost like the old driver's ed cars, but instead of a passenger breaking, they are hitting the gas. I've checked around the gas pedal to make sure it was free, and there's nothing getting caught anywhere near it. This past time, like I said, I parked the vehicle, turned it off. It took several times of turning it off, and turning it back on to stop the engine from reving like I had my pedal to the metal. After the 5th restart, the engine finally started correctly.
I plan to call JEEP again on this. Plus when I get the co-pilot I think I will get a letter from the dealership to have with me that there is a problem and they did not fix it.
I should have stayed with my old trusty Nissan Frontier, had the truck 8 years, and not one single problem. I've had this thing 4 months and I'm very unsatisfied. Having a brother that has had JEEP's for 20+ years, and a best friend who drives the Cherokee's I was excited to "join the club".
I would be grateful if anyone out there has had the same problem, or has any ideas I can take back to the dealership. I'm concerned this vehicle may cause damage or hurt either myself or someone else.
Thanks
:ugh2:

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I guess what has me puzzled is that you're saying that your brakes will not stop your vehicle. I've never seen a vehicle that could overpower its brakes. In other words, if I floor my accelerator pedal and at the same time stand on my break pedal, my vehicle isn't moving. There's just no way the braking system should be overpowered by the engine.

And to top it off, you're saying that even if you put the transmission into neutral and hit the brakes, you still don't stop accelerating???

When I put the vehicle into Neutral, the RPM's continue to rev. and the vehicle will not break.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Have you tried the Emergency brake?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The brakes work in Neutral but it's like I'm driving a vehicle from the 70's. The engine continues to rev in Neutral. I haven't tried the emergency brake yet. The only advice the dealership gave me was to cut the engine completely, although I will loose power steering and braking. Being in my late 30's I think has helped me avoid an accident so far. I don't think as a young driver I would have been able to think quick enough to avoid hitting something or someone. The mechanic wanted to take the vehicle out and "make it do it" for him, I told him as long as my insurance wouldn't have to pay for any damage to him or someone else, that he could take it out. But of course, I guess the Service Manager didn't want to do it that way. I asked them if there was any place to put it on one of those "wheel thingys" that they use to test mileage, but they don't know any place that has one. I think that would be my best option, but don't even know where to find one. I can only wonder if anyone else had the same problem, and had a bad accident.
Thank you so much for your feedback so far, I really do appreciate all of it.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Look in the yellow pages for some place with a Dyno (one of those "wheel thingys"), a speedometer calibration business would have one as well.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I asked them if there was any place to put it on one of those "wheel thingys" that they use to test mileage, but they don't know any place that has one. I think that would be my best option, but don't even know where to find one.
The thing is (unless you have only RWD) it would have to be desinged for full time four wheel drive ... I think they are pretty rare ...

... for example we have yearley "e-testing" here (for polution control) and the Commander can't be put on the testing equipment as there are none made to fit a full time 4X4

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would say at best the throttle body. when it was revving up, and u had it in neutral, did it seem like it was a continued acceleration...higher and higher rpms...or more when it was steady like u said at about 4,000 rpms?
Do you have a 3.7 4/7 or 5.7?
did you ever have a chance to be in neutral while it was happening, and push the off button on the speed control/cruise control?

I know i would be freaked out like you are. Id be borderline gallon of gas and a match...and a deductable away from a new car :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It's not really pertinant to this discusion as it dosen;t help out the original poster ... but just curious ... does anoyone know if the Jeeps have a rev limiter built in? that cuts off RPM to an safe limit to save the engine?

I mean if you floored the gas on an old Chev 250 6 cyl and put it in nuetral, you'd have connecting rods sticking out of the oil pan in a minute or two.

·
Administrator
15,875 Posts
... does anoyone know if the Jeeps have a rev limiter built in? that cuts off RPM to an safe limit to save the engine?
Yes, it does.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thanks! ... guess it's kind of a standard thing now, on new cars?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Update. The Service Manager at the dealership now has the vehicle. Since they consider it too dangerous for me to ride with a co-pilot for it to do it again, then try to hit "record" plus stop the vehicle.He now has the Regional Manager involved, and they are getting an IT tech. on it.
I have the 4.7
To anyone else who has the 07 model. If you are on the highway, get the vehicle to about 65/70mph (using no cruise control), if you take your foot completely off the gas, can you coast for miles without losing speed on a flat and without using more gas or cruise control? My vehicle does just that, and the service mgr. asked me about it when we took it out. We told him that we figured it was normal. Well, he's now looking for another 07 to test drive to see if it is normal.
As to the question regarding cruise control. No, its not like it was accidentially put on. Lucky I did have my spouse in the vehicle with me when it happened, so I do have a witness that I did nothing out of the ordinary. All I can say is, if I ever sit on a Jury, and someone claims that a vehicle suddenly accelerated, I would be less quick to judge anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As for the RPM's when I shifted out of Drive into Neutral, to slow the vehicle the RPM's were over 4000 and stayed up there, never came down. Even after turning the vehicle off, then for about 4 restarts the RPM's rev'd over 4000. After the 5th try the vehicle started up fine.
I will say that the local dealership here, along with its service reps and manager have treated me very well. Right now they just want to figure this out, and are wondering if anyone has been in any accidents for this same reason. They said this is how the recall pipeline starts..hopefully I'm just a black sheep here. I'd hate to think of a inexperienced driver trying to handle the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts