Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, first post!

Have been trying to track down a transmission issue. Was stuck in limp mode, and code indicated bad shifter solenoid. Had that replaced, and it worked great for about a week or so. Then, slipped back into limp mode, and check engine light came back on. Technician then found some corroded wiring between PCM and transmission. That was repaired, but did not fix the problem. Apparently the PCM is also bad. However, as you probably know, new ones are no longer available - even through the dealer. So, my options are to pay the dealer to rebuild my PCM (for around $800), or to buy a refurbished one online (for around $300). Any benefit to spending the extra cash to have the dealer fix it, vs installing a refurb? Also, if buying a refurb, any preferred vendor(s)? All of the online reviews are VERY mixed.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
Hi there, first post!

Have been trying to track down a transmission issue. Was stuck in limp mode, and code indicated bad shifter solenoid. Had that replaced, and it worked great for about a week or so. Then, slipped back into limp mode, and check engine light came back on. Technician then found some corroded wiring between PCM and transmission. That was repaired, but did not fix the problem. Apparently the PCM is also bad. However, as you probably know, new ones are no longer available - even through the dealer. So, my options are to pay the dealer to rebuild my PCM (for around $800), or to buy a refurbished one online (for around $300). Any benefit to spending the extra cash to have the dealer fix it, vs installing a refurb? Also, if buying a refurb, any preferred vendor(s)? All of the online reviews are VERY mixed.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Welcome to the forum @singervp;

I came across this site;

Also keep in mind; Because of security and anti-theft immobility system, the PCM has to have the VIN# for the vehicle programmed into it. It compares the VIN# with the VIN# of the other modules in the vehicle, if they are the same, it will allow the vehicle to start, if it is different, the PCM won't let the engine start or run.

That being said, please take the time to post an introduction to the forum, in the New member section;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! That is one of the sites I saw as well. All of the reviews seem to be either 4 stars (best place ever!!) or 1 star (worst place ever!!). And, that seems to be across the board with the other vendors I've found. Wasn't sure if anyone here had personal experience or not...

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
Thank you! That is one of the sites I saw as well. All of the reviews seem to be either 4 stars (best place ever!!) or 1 star (worst place ever!!). And, that seems to be across the board with the other vendors I've found. Wasn't sure if anyone here had personal experience or not...
Says they come with a lifetime warranty, so, what do you have to lose?

The most important piece of the puzzle is below;

Also keep in mind; Because of security and anti-theft immobility system, the PCM has to have the VIN# for the vehicle programmed into it. It compares the VIN# with the VIN# of the other modules in the vehicle, if they are the same, it will allow the vehicle to start, if it is different, the PCM won't let the engine start or run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts