• other (explain in your post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Verizon announced today that they will start selling the iphone, my question is this:

I want a smart phone and I currently have service with Verizon, should I get the iPhone or the Droid?

By PETER SVENSSON
AP Technology Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Verizon Wireless made the long-awaited announcement Tuesday that it will start selling a version of the iPhone 4 on Feb. 10, giving U.S. iPhone buyers a choice of carriers for the first time. Since its 2007 debut, Apple Inc.'s phone has been sold exclusively for AT&T's network in the U.S.

Verizon Communications Inc.'s chief operating officer, Lowell McAdam, made the announcement in New York, joined by Apple COO Tim Cook, who called it "the beginning of a great relationship between Verizon and Apple."

Pre-orders for existing Verizon customers will start Feb. 3. The price will be $200 or $300 with a two-year contract, depending on the model, about the same as the iPhone through AT&T. It will be sold through Verizon, Apple and other stores nationwide, as well as over the Internet.

Verizon issued its press release at 11:11 a.m. on Jan. 11, 2011, or 1/11/11.

AT&T activated 11.1 million iPhones in the first nine months of 2010. Analysts now expect Verizon to snag some users from AT&T, but the impact will likely be muted because most iPhone users have two-year contracts, and many are on family and employer plans. Verizon did not reveal its service plan pricing on Tuesday.

Verizon's iPhone version will work only on the carrier's current "3G" network even though the carrier has fired up a faster "4G" network in many cities. That super-fast wireless data network is available only to plug-in laptop modems for now, but Verizon will have smart phones for it this summer from other manufacturers, including Motorola Mobility Inc.

Cook said the first generation of "4G" phone chips would have forced some design compromises, which Apple wasn't willing to make.

"Secondly and most importantly, Verizon customers have told us they want the iPhone now," Cook said. "I can't tell you the number of times I've been asked and my colleagues have been asked . When will the iPhone work on the Verizon network?"

The lack of 4G means the Verizon iPhone will have much slower data speeds than AT&T's, at least in the areas where AT&T has upgraded its 3G network. AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel was quick to point this out, along with the fact that users won't be able to surf and talk at the same time on the Verizon iPhone. International roaming will also be very limited compared with the AT&T version.

However, Verizon has much wider domestic 3G coverage than AT&T does, especially in the interior of the country. In the big cities of the coasts, iPhone service can be spotty because of crowding on AT&T's network.

Though Verizon Wireless is the largest wireless carrier in the country, with 93.2 million subscribers, it has been losing out to AT&T in the battle to sign up high-paying smart-phone subscribers because of AT&T's iPhone exclusivity. In the last few years, Verizon has promoted phones with Google Inc.'s Android operating system as its alternative to the iPhone.

Cook wouldn't say if Verizon will get the iPhone 5 when it debuts this summer, if Apple follows its regular once-a-year upgrade schedule.

Verizon's iPhone 4 is identical in form and function to AT&T's but has one feature AT&T's does not: It can act as a portable Wi-Fi "hot spot," connecting up to five laptops or other devices to Verizon's 3G network through Wi-Fi. It's a feature that's been offered on other smart phones, usually for an added monthly fee.

The Verizon iPhone is the first one that works on so-called "CDMA" networks, a standard also employed by Sprint Nextel Corp. and carriers in China and South Korea. Cook said the phone wouldn't be exclusive to Verizon, but he didn't say what other carriers might get it. Analysts don't expect Sprint to sell it.

Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of New York-based Verizon Communications and Vodafone Group PLC.

Shares in Verizon Communications fell 82 cents, or 2.3 percent, to $35.10 in afternoon trading Tuesday. The shares are still close to a two-year high of $37.70, set last week. Apple shares lost $1.20, or 0.4 percent, to $341.29, while AT&T lost 53 cents, or 1.9 percent, to $27.81.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I voted Android. My carrier is T-mobile. My first smartphone was the G1. It was the first Android phone. It came out two years ago, and could basically do what the i-phone could. Google was slow to get aps out two years ago, but now they have caught up. The phone was made by HTC. It was a power hog - I had to recharge it everyday, depending on how I used it. HTC also makes the Evo that Sprint is pushing. A month ago, I purchsed the G1 replacement, called (drum roll, please) G2. What a difference. Lighter, thinner, uses less power. The G1 and G2 come with a slide out qwerty keyboard and an onscreen keyboard. One awesome feature of the Android phones is the onboard GPS. It uses google maps. It knows where you are all of the time. Open the maps, and it shows your location. Put in the address you are looking for, and it goes there, and gives directions. Use street scenes and you can see what you are looking for before you actually get there! I am a total Mac freak, but I have never been interested in the i-phone! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am a big fan of the Droid and HTC and was recently at Verizon checking them out. It turns out I like the Motorola Droid 2 better than the HTC Incredible... possibly because I am use to a slide out keyboard.

Go to your local Verizon outlet and test them out............

·
Banned
277 Posts
I have the HTC EVO 4G on Sprint....and it is awesome. You'll find debates all across the internet between these platforms, but honestly, i don't think you can go wrong with either one...I would probably be just as happy with an iphone - i just didn't want to deal with the reported 'death-grip' reception issues. But, I think for the average user, both platforms will accomplish anything and everything the user needs a smartphone to do, and more. I've never been a fan of Blackberrys though...unless they've changed a lot recently, their browsing and processing speeds are a lot slower than android and iphone devices. Just my two cents...good luck!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I went with the Android OS (Samsung Galaxy) because i wanted a nice 4" screen and expandable memory.

The i4 seemed plagued with issues from day one... but people seem so brainwashed by Apple that they didn't care. I looked at the i4 like any other phone on the market... The antenna issues + the price tag for the 32GB version + non expandable memory + smaller 3.5" screen were the top 4 reasons I didn't go with it.

I paid less than half the price for my Samsung Galaxy phone. It has a 4" Amoled screen that rivals the quality of the i4 screen, 16gb internal memory with a microSD slot that accepts 32gb cards (i have one 32gb card filled with movies for when im on travel), a bunch of other bells & whistles.

Couldn't be any happier with my decision.

Treat the i4 like "any other phone" and really, i don't see the obsession.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one thing that caught my eye is that the Verizon iPhone will act as a wirefi source for your laptop when you are away from home, does the Droid have that feature yet?

Verizon's iPhone 4 is identical in form and function to AT&T's but has one feature AT&T's does not: It can act as a portable Wi-Fi "hot spot," connecting up to five laptops or other devices to Verizon's 3G network through Wi-Fi. It's a feature that's been offered on other smart phones, usually for an added monthly fee.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Yes, Android supports mobile hotspots. The EVO 4G can support upto 8 wireless devices at a time, I believe.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The one thing that caught my eye is that the Verizon iPhone will act as a wirefi source for your laptop when you are away from home, does the Droid have that feature yet?
Droid has always had that ability via a free app... you don't have to pay for it either.

I don't use mine like that just because the phone works so well stand alone for surfing the internet that I haven't had the urge... and even though im nowhere near close to my 2GB limit, i don't want to go over accidentally.

My friends with their Verizon Droid phones are always connected to their laptops though. Lets the surf the internet during lunch at work without worrying about their work computer logging websites.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool news, When I travel I take my laptop and use hotel wi-fi but I would like to use the laptop at work but no wi-fi is available there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've had the iphone for 2 years but have wanted an android the whole time. 2 year contract is up and I finally made the switch to the better side.

·
1,993 Posts
I have the Iphone and I would recommend you probably go with the droid operating system. Don't worry about which phone to much before you decide on the operating system. Apple is very controlling on what you can and can not do with there phone. I hacked my Iphone so now its awesome to have but most people cant do this. The droid software is more open and less restricting to APP developers and it runs flash which apple does not:icon_confused: I love my Iphone but I hacked the software to get it that way. I'm looking for a Tablet soon and I'm going with one that runs the droid OS not the Ipad because that dont run flash either:icon_confused:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
What SAL says about Apple being controlling is why I do not have any Apple products except an Ipod. The only good thing I will say is that it has always worked other than that I hate it. I think people that like a walled garden experience like Apple items because of the sanitized experience.

Personally it's not for me.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I have an iPhone and I'm happy with it. I have not had a Droid or have even played with on so I can not make a comparison and say one or the other is better.

What you do want to look into is "internet tethering". I have this "internet tethering" on my iPhone. For this you don't even need a Wi-Fi spot, your iPhone basically acts as a modem for your laptop. I connect my iPhone with USB to my laptop and I can surf online on my laptop using AT&T 3G network as internet. Might want to look into this. I'm pretty sure the other smartphones / providers have this option as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the Motorola Droid. I upgraded to it when it first came out from my prior phone. I had heard many complaints about AT&T's service issues and that was the main thing that made me never buy the iPhone as it was sold exclusively with AT&T. Now that the iPhone will be coming to Verizon, I still won't buy the iPhone.

I'm not particularly fond of Apple products in general and as stated earlier, I'm not a fan of their "closed" systems. Android allows you to do so much more and although at first, the Android market did not have a quarter of what the iPhone had, that has changed. Also, with Android o/s you can have choices as to what phone you want to get. If you want Apple's o/s, gotta get the iPhone. No thanks.

I like the slide out keyboard, never was really a fan of the virtual keyboard. I found it making too many mistakes. The Motorola Droid gives you the option of a virtual keyboard or a physical keyboard. One of the main things I was worried about with the Motorola Droid was that it was a slider phone. I had never had one and I could see the slider portion of the phone wearing/breaking from repeated use. A year later, no problems.

·
Registered
338 Posts
One of the main things I was worried about with the Motorola Droid was that it was a slider phone. I had never had one and I could see the slider portion of the phone wearing/breaking from repeated use. A year later, no problems.
I've had a slider phone for around 6 years now.... the HTC Apache 6700. Slider/keyboard still work great. I tried out the Motorola Droid 2 and the slider on that seemed to be great quality

·
Registered
338 Posts
What you do want to look into is "internet tethering".
I second that. The hot spot is great but it will likely run the battery down a lot quicker than tethering with the mini USB cable. I use to tether wirelessly via bluetooth and that would kill the battery in about an hour or 2.

A USB tether will actually charge the cell phone while providing Internet to the laptop.

That said, any droid running Android 2.2 will support a WiFi Hotspot I believe.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
My son tethers his Evo Android to his laptop. You don't really need to use the hotspot method. But he's pretty good with technology. I have the same phone on Sprint but I don't really need to use it to get internet on my laptop. I use the Evo directly to surf.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I currently have an HTC Eris powered by Android on Verizon and I've been noodling the idea of jumping on the iPhone bandwagon once I'm due for an upgrade which is in October, I have time to make a decision. I'm happy with Android OS but my phone can be a little better (i.e. better processor). I do like the idea of having a mobile hot spot, comes pretty handy when travelling with family and yes it is available on other Android powered phones. Hmmm, decisions decisions.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great comments, keep them coming!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts