Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im new to this and i have a question, i just bought a used jeep commander 06, v8 3.7 about a week ago, and everthing seems fine except i feel it very very bumpy specially when there is several people in the truck,when im drivng alone its not as bad, its marking the tire pressure low so i put air in the tires but it still shakes when im driving at a steady speed, it is my first jeep so i may just not be used to it i drove a navigator before this vehicle, any ideas what it could be? thanx! =):icon_confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
Have you had the tires balanced ?

·
1,993 Posts
Bumpy how? is it a soft constant up and down? Or is it hard bumps that get faster with speed? Getting more bumpy with weight in it leads me to think your springs and or shocks are worn/broken. Need more details on Bumpy. How much air did you put in your tires? Are they all at the same PSI? Like Jeep5253 said tires might need to be balanced?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The 3.7 is a V6, not a V8. Is the shake like a shimmy? If so, it could be loose/worn tie rod ends. With just you in the Jeep, it would be noticeable, but when you add the weight of passengers in the back, some of the weight would be taken off of the front end, which would make the shimmy worse. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
How many miles on the vehicle?

Have you checked the shocks?

You added air to the tires, what pressure? and you made sure the pressure was exactly the same left & right?

Bumpy is usually associated with something, speed, road surface, going over bumps, etc...

Like mentioned, the 3.7L is a V6, the V8's were the 4.7L and 5.7L HEMI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oops i guess it is not a 3.7 but it is a v8, and no i havent had my tires balanced im gonna have to do that, the psi on all the tires is different so im guessing thats wat it could be after all and im gonna have the shocks checked too, the vehicle has 96,000 miles, but i did notice the shakin starts when im driving at 40 mph and it is not steady bumpy it does get faster, sal , thanks everybody!

·
1,993 Posts
Ok if the bump you feel gets faster with speed then not your shocks. I would guess a tire issue one of them might be out of balance. How old are the tires and have you had anything done lately to the jeep. I would have them rotated and balanced, the shop should correct all the tires pressure while doing this as well. I rotate my tires every 6k miles to keep them in good shape.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Different tire pressure left and right can cause some vibration with speed that you can feel in the steering wheel.

Shocks you can check yourself push up and down on the bumper, get the vehicle going up and down as fast and as far as you can at one corner, then let go, it should stop with a single overshoot of less than 10% of the previous translation. More than that, the shocks aren't damping enough.

96,000 miles, likely shocks are worn some, unless the vehicle was driven on smooth roads only, worn out shocks can be a real possibility.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Broken steel belts in a tire can cause this also. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Broken steel belts in a tire can cause this also. Been there, done that.
Yea, only trouble shooting technique I can think for that, other than a visual inspection of the tire and if there are odd buldges or shape, is too rotate the tires. If the properties change with rotating the tires, you know its in the tires or wheel balance. Having the wheel re-balanced is cheap enough, that would the next step.

Off the top of my head, these are the steps I'd look into.

1.)Inflate the tires to the proper pressure accurately, use a tire gauge and make sure they are exactly the same pressure left/right.

2.)Do a quick test of the shocks, my bouncing the bumper up and down, if it obviously fails, shocks need replaced, if the shocks aren't obviously bad, they may still be contributing so don't rule them out completely.

3.)Having a friend that is mechanically inclined (or a mechanic) drive the vehicle, they being more familiar with the symptoms of various problems might allow him to figure out the source of the problem for you.

4.)Rotate the tires, see if that changes how the bumpiness feels.

5.)Re-balance the wheels, have the tire shop check the tires for anything wrong.

5.b.)Have the alignment checked.

6.)Bring it into a mechanic and have them troubleshoot it and repair it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i've replaced a few sets of tires - 2 times, one of the tires was manufactured wrong - even with them 'balanced', i would still experience a bumpy ride that increased as i went faster. make sure they check that too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so now my battery died out of nowhere! i am so mad its been only a week =( thanx everyone, im going back tomorrow to the autoplex where i bought it and see wat they tell me, geez! lol

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
The OEM battery typically only last 3 years.
I still have the OEM battery in my 2006! It can't last much longer.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I still have the OEM battery in my 2006! It can't last much longer.
NO WAY!!! Mine died 2 years ago!!! Plus the dealer screwed me on it, but I won't go there!

About the "bumpy ride" it is probably tire balance or other tire issues. Give us more details on your Jeep too, as it sometimes helps. Like if you have the Chrome Clad rims that adds a whole set of tire balance issues....

Anyway welcome, and I hope the autoplex place squares things up for you.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
NO WAY!!! Mine died 2 years ago!!! Plus the dealer screwed me on it, but I won't go there!
Maybe your dealer did the same as mine: Towing - Free, under warranty. Battery - $300.00. Before they could install the battery, they had to do a diagnostic check! Had I know this, I would have taken my wifes car to NAPA, etc. :cursin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so turns out the battery is brand new so it wasnt that, apparently the motorized device that moves the driver seat back and forward was shortcircuited and would stay running all night therefore the battery would die, hmmm does that make sense or am i being lied to? anyways the vehicle has a month warranty so im trying to take advantage of that

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I had a cheap walmart battery last 7 years in my Mini-Van, All I did was pull the vent caps and kept the level up with "distilled" water (some batteries you can't pull them without breaking them) and used a cheap battery charger to do a trickle charge for 24 hours once a year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts