Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just had the OME 2" suspension lift (hd) installed on my Commander.
My Jeep finally looks like a Jeep should, I love it.
Now it's time for some suitable tires.
I ordered the 1.5" spidertrax spacers, because I was led to believe they were necessary in order to run Rubicon wheels and big tires.
The guy at the offroad shop by my house is telling me that the spacers are too big (thick),will cause rubbing and limit the size of tire I can run, and that I should only use a 1/4" spacer.
Is this true? Should I return my spidertrax spacers?
I want to run BFG T/A KO's, now I am totally confused about what size I can get run with and without the spidertrax. :icon_confused:
Advice please

Thanks Jeep overlords :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I have a 2.25 lift and the 1.5" spacers running 255x75x17 BFG MT/TA with very little rubbing but with bigger tires you will need to do more work.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
49er, did you have to fold the pinch weld?
Yes, but I did not do a very good job and will work on it again some day to finish (I only did one side) as it wsa hard work and I got lazy. I have tire damage to the outside tread caused by the pinch weld.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I had to bend over pinch welds. See my sig for the specs on lift and tires.

·
Banned
277 Posts
I put on the 2" RC lift with my 245x75x17s and I didn't rub at all...until I put the 1.5" spacers on. Now it every-so-slightly brushes the front wheel-well liner at full lock. It's so minor that I can't even hear it rubbing, windows down and all, I just know it is because I can see a faint streak on the liner. Judging only from my own experiences, I think a 245x75 is as big as you can go (sidewall height) without having to hammer the pinch weld. Good luck!

·
1,993 Posts
just put on 265/70/17 on RC 2" lift did a test drive no issues so far on the street. I trimmed away some plastic because it looks like at full flex it might rub. I have 1/4 spacers up front to clear the knuckle I cleared it with out the spacer but it looked to tight. I will be off road this weekend at flag pole and can tell you about any other rub issues with that size. I did not bend any pinch welds over yet. I'm not happy with the 1/4 spacer but it will do until I can decide on real spacers or new rims.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
just put on 265/70/17 on RC 2" lift did a test drive no issues so far on the street. I trimmed away some plastic because it looks like at full flex it might rub. I have 1/4 spacers up front to clear the knuckle I cleared it with out the spacer but it looked to tight. I will be off road this weekend at flag pole and can tell you about any other rub issues with that size. I did not bend any pinch welds over yet. I'm not happy with the 1/4 spacer but it will do until I can decide on real spacers or new rims.
Cool !! I'm glad you got everything on in time. You will really enjoy Flagpole. Weather might be a little iffy, make sure you bring warm clothes for night time. Enjoy ! p.s. Take pics and post em for us.

·
Registered
807 Posts
1/4 inch spacers are NOT enough to let the RUBI rims clear the brake calipers.

I just put on 1.5 inch spidertrax spacer with a Rocky road 2.25 inch lift. I had 265, 70 17 tires that rub only slightly when i turn I was going to trim, bend, hack, heat, and all the other things that people have done to prevent the slight rubbing.....BUT afte doing some test offroading and doing some fully flexed turns on some climbing, and had not major issues with the rubbing and will just let it rub. its really not hurting anything.....and the only time it rubs, i am probably doing less than 5 mph anyway and it rubs for a few seconds.
I WOULD SAY keep your 1.5s.

·
Registered
35 Posts
1/4 inch spacers are NOT enough to let the RUBI rims clear the brake calipers.

I just put on 1.5 inch spidertrax spacer with a Rocky road 2.25 inch lift. I had 265, 70 17 tires that rub only slightly when i turn I was going to trim, bend, hack, heat, and all the other things that people have done to prevent the slight rubbing.....BUT afte doing some test offroading and doing some fully flexed turns on some climbing, and had not major issues with the rubbing and will just let it rub. its really not hurting anything.....and the only time it rubs, i am probably doing less than 5 mph anyway and it rubs for a few seconds.
I WOULD SAY keep your 1.5s.
I did that very thing. The rubbing noise will get worse as you rub thru the wheel well it became embarassing. I ended up ordering new inner wells had to heat and reshape the plastic after taking 2/3 of the pinch weld off with a sawsall not hard to do half day at most.
looks factory can not tell there was any mod done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the replies...

Tomorrow I am going to have 265-70-17 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's installed on Rubicon wheels with spidertrax 1.5" spacers.
I hope they don't rub! I guess if they do rub, then I just need to pound the pinch weld and reshape the tire wells? Is there an instructional thread on doing the heat gun reshape of the tire wells... how to removed them, etc?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I left mine in to reshape them. Heated them up and pushed it back. its not easy though. Took a little practice to get the right amount of heat because it was getting too hot and I started messing it up.

My right front still rubs bad because AC lines I think. I need to pull tire and wheel well off to get back there and look at it I think. Anybody have any advice on that? After about an hour though with the heat gun the left side is perfect.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Regarding the A/C lines on the passenger side, my tires were very close. One of the hose clamps had the clip sticking out toward the tire. We use a set of pliers and compressed the end to open the clamp up a little and turned the clamp. Then there was enough clearance for the A/C lines.

·
Registered
696 Posts
thanks maybe I just need to bend over more of the pinch weld and check those clamps. I just know the driver side is perfect and the passenger side is horrible. Only difference is those lines. My pinch weld was originally bent over by the mech that installed my tires. I havent had the wheel wells out yet myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts