Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Jeep Commander 3.7 with the WA5W580 transmission and Quadra Trac 1. At about 70,000 miles it started to produce a slight vibration on while in overdrive when traveling 65 MPH (at about 1800 rpm) and going up a slight grade). At first I thought it was a road imperfection since it seemed to come through the chassis. Over time it got worse but I noticed it was not speed dependent, but was always associated with the 1500 to 2000 rpm range. I checked the usual things: wheel balance, tread wear, front end steering wear, u-joints, drive shafts, engine mounts, transmission mounts and suspension parts. This was a very frustrating problem. I did have if checked by the dealer early on and they couldn’t duplicate the problem. After checking threads on multiple Jeep Forums, I found a thread identifying water contamination in the transmission fluid as a cause of the problem in early models of my Jeep. The recommended service was to complete a transmission flush and replace the fluid and transmission filter.

Bad news guys....tried the fluid flush in transmission. No improvement. Noticed in some other threads the mention of a torque converter clutch (tcc) and a torque converter clutch (tcc) solenoid causing similar issues. Apparently these parts lock the torque converter when working properly, but when they are not, they create a “shudder.” Took my 2010 Jeep Commander with the NAG1 (and 80,000 miles) into the dealership and after replacing both of these items, the Jeep drives and shifts perfectly. But my wallet is $2200.00 lighter (about $1000.00 in OEM parts and $1200.00 in labor). Makes me wish I still had a place to work on my cars where I could do more than change the oil. I hope this helps someone out since this is such a frustrating problem.

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
887 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Haven't heard of that one, but my trans has been very good to me.

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
887 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts