Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all just a situation that has been going on since I've purchased my truck I have a 06',5.7L,4x4 Hemi.When I first bought her I thought the brakes needed to be serviced so I replaced the rotors and pads front only,they did need to be replaced. I figured that would stop the pulsating and vibrating upon stopping but it didn't I'm at a stump and am not wanting to take it to a shop if at all possible. My question is does the commander have to use factory pads and rotors,again thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
First, I hope I'm NOT insulting you, but you do know how ABS feels when it activates? This occurs often during normal braking, and its NOT rarely and only in conditions you're ABS is activating?

The problem may be the rear brakes.

When you replaced the rotors and pads, did you also replace the metal inserts that the pads ride on? You greased the parts at appropriate points well, using hi-temp brake grease? You cleaned and greased the floating pins, made sure they moved freely?

No, you do NOT have to use OEM parts, in fact most of the Dealers are selling aftermarket brake pads. But, the OEM parts are usually much higher in quality than even the top of line aftermarket direct replacement parts. Especially with brakes, the low cost aftermarket parts will NOT only perform worse and last shorter, they are far more prone to develop noise and vibrations. So if you go aftermarket, I would get high quality, at least near top tier parts.

The OEM pads are made by Akebone, and they have aftermarket pads for the Commander, so likely the same thing or close. I used NAPA Adaptive One pads and they seem pretty much the same as OEM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey and thanks for your response and no your not insulting me. I am very open minded and take advise and am not ashamed to ask for help,two brains are better than one...sometimes,lol. So anyways I solved the issue by doing a simple replacement of rotor and pads in the rear and that solved the issue completely. Thanks for helping out I greatly appreciate it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts