Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting the commander to the test!!

2007 commander 4.7L 2wd
I'll install the hidden hitch reciever and hook up the 7 pin wiring harness and prodigy brake controller this week(as soon as ups delivers the stuff).
In a couple of weeks I will use the commander to tow my 2005 wrangler on a 18 foot car hauler for a 800 mile round trip to superlift offroad park in hot springs.

Weight of the trailer plus jeep should be about 5700-6000lbs!!

If all goes well, I'll probably use it as my tow rig for a few years as my truck is getting old and i don't want to buy a new one until this commander is paid for.

Anyone towed this kindof load yet with their commander?

should be fun..

DW

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I tow a CJ7 on a 21' trailer at about 6500-7000 loaded up and the commander handles it no problem. A weight distributing hitch and your brake controller are good ideas but other than that you will have no problems at all.

·
2,248 Posts
I tow this all the time to the tracks with no problem. I do use a weight equalizing hitch. With the extra tires and tools it probably weight close to what you want to tow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tow a CJ7 on a 21' trailer at about 6500-7000 loaded up and the commander handles it no problem. A weight distributing hitch and your brake controller are good ideas but other than that you will have no problems at all.
How is the power of the 4.7L when it's loaded up like that? I'm curious to see if it feels stronger than my old 92 5.7L gmc..i think it will

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
How is the power of the 4.7L when it's loaded up like that? I'm curious to see if it feels stronger than my old 92 5.7L gmc..i think it will
The power is great. Fuel milage seems to suffer bad but thats how towing is with any vehicle. The only bad thing I have to say about the XK when towing is that even if you have a weight distributing hitch the rear end seems to sag a little. If you plan to use it for towing a lot then you can get a set of HD rear spring. I plan to get a set of the OME HD lift springs for the rear to help with rear sag, but that is my only problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update:putting commander to test

On the 19th of December (few more days!!) I will load my 2005 wrangler onto an 18foot steel deck car hauler and tow my jeep to an offroad park 250 miles each way.

I have the hidden hitch brand hitch and a prodigy brake controller. I tested this setup out last week for 15 miles just to get comfortable with it. Total weight i was towing was 6000lbs. I have a 4.7L 2wd commander.

I was very impressed. It had as much if not more power than my older GMC truck, better handling, no sway, and with the brake controller turned up properly..the stopping felt just like it does without towing anything!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Would like to see some pictures of it hooked up and loaded.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Specs: 2007 commander sport 2wd 4.7L v8.
hidden hitch receiver
prodigy brake controller
18 foot steel deck trailer (2200lbs)
2005 wrangler with some stuff (3600 lbs)
Pics then video!
Rolling 70 mph,mpg reading,loaded pics

First video: Towing on flat ground
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSq8L84mRTw
Second Video: towing onto the interstate with a decent incline during first 40 mph.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49T9vHKwmNQ

The commander is the most capable SUV tow rig i've ever driven!
This thread to be stickied.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
The 4.7 does a great job. I wish they put a little bit stronger spring in the rear but that is my only issue. Nice TJ!

·
Administrator
15,209 Posts
"merging onto the high speed internet" :rofl:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts