1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
862 Posts
That's pretty good: Commander 1, porch 0.

Reminds me, I have a couple of dead juniper trees I need to yank out with the winch tonight. They're only about 4 feet tall, so I doubt they'll drag the XK's locked tires.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's pretty good: Commander 1, porch 0.

Reminds me, I have a couple of dead juniper trees I need to yank out with the winch tonight. They're only about 4 feet tall, so I doubt they'll drag the XK's locked tires.
I have torn some rather large stumps out of the ground with a large chain and the Commander in 4L. I am yet to actually touch the gas pedal when yanking anything in 4L. I absolutely love the capabilities of my Commander. The wrangler guys I go off-roading with around here are always impressed.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My experience is the Wrangler owners who look down on the Commander as a "soccer mom" mall-mobile are ones who have never actually seen an XK seriously off-roading. I've actually been asked on hard trails "How'd you get that thing in here?" "I had it dropped in by a Sikorsky, why do you ask? Whadda' think, I drove it here, the same as you!"

Nobody ever seems to think the $100k luxury Range Rover is a mall-crawler, yet the XK's running gear was based in it. The XK is pretty similar too, when you look at it: tame AT tires on spoke wheels, doesn't sit 3 feet high, etc. etc. yet where is it a Range Rover can't go? And, the XK is similar inside as well, although not as over the top with heated leather seats, power everything, etc.

That low range you refer to by the way, is almost 3:1. Just about any 4x4 pickup, SUV, and even standard Wranglers are only about 2:1. They'll go 40+ MPH in low range, the XK is topping out at only 25 MPH. (At screaming red-line) The Wrangler Rubicon has a rock crawler transfer case with more than 3:1 (3.7x:1 I think) along with power locking sway bars etc. But, that adds about $10k to the base price. That low-low ratio gives a LOT of torque and steep hill ascend/descend control where the usual 2:1 (or even less, most are 1.9:1) lacks badly.

Add in computer controlled locking axles and transfer case diff and traction control, and you have the XK: a vehicle that can climb 45 degree ditch banks (and, yes it will, I have done it) and it barely disturbs the dirt while doing it. With that running gear, there's no need for red-line and dirt flinging to get up a hill, or pull a stump.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My experience is the Wrangler owners who look down on the Commander as a "soccer mom" mall-mobile are ones who have never actually seen an XK seriously off-roading. I've actually been asked on hard trails "How'd you get that thing in here?" "I had it dropped in by a Sikorsky, why do you ask? Whadda' think, I drove it here, the same as you!"

Nobody ever seems to think the $100k luxury Range Rover is a mall-crawler, yet the XK's running gear was based in it. The XK is pretty similar too, when you look at it: tame AT tires on spoke wheels, doesn't sit 3 feet high, etc. etc. yet where is it a Range Rover can't go? And, the XK is similar inside as well, although not as over the top with heated leather seats, power everything, etc.

That low range you refer to by the way, is almost 3:1. Just about any 4x4 pickup, SUV, and even standard Wranglers are only about 2:1. They'll go 40+ MPH in low range, the XK is topping out at only 25 MPH. (At screaming red-line) The Wrangler Rubicon has a rock crawler transfer case with more than 3:1 (3.7x:1 I think) along with power locking sway bars etc. But, that adds about $10k to the base price. That low-low ratio gives a LOT of torque and steep hill ascend/descend control where the usual 2:1 (or even less, most are 1.9:1) lacks badly.

Add in computer controlled locking axles and transfer case diff and traction control, and you have the XK: a vehicle that can climb 45 degree ditch banks (and, yes it will, I have done it) and it barely disturbs the dirt while doing it. With that running gear, there's no need for red-line and dirt flinging to get up a hill, or pull a stump.
Not to mention I can put the 2nd and 3rd row seats down in mine and sleep quite comfortably. Can't do that on the trails with a Wrangler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts