Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this email from a friend. I have never heard of this happening but it does sound plausible (Mythbusters word) so I thought I would pass it on to you guys.

VIN NUMBER

Here is info worth the price of your car....WHAT WILL the car thieves
THINK OF NEXT?

The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write
down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car
dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #. I didn't
believe this e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost
my keys They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me
one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN
#, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He
doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw
attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert
the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle. You
don't believe it? It IS that easy.

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical
tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on
the dash board.
By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be
viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this
to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.
I slipped a 3 x 5 card over the VIN NUMBER.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The dealerships are supposed to check ID, but that doesn't do much good. Also, in some states it's illegal to obscure the VIN in any way, but you really won't get ticketed. Also, that's a real long way to steal a car. The majority of car thefts don't occur that way. I would think if you had an very valuable vehicle, that would be a concern - but then Joe Smith just couldn't walk into the local Bently dealership and afford an $800 key...lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, for newer cars it's the same way here. To get a duplicate chipped key to work, you have to bring your car in so that can match it to the ECU/PCM. If you locked yourself out of a car, that wouldn't be a problem (it would get you in the car). But then you couldn't drive it.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
that doesn't work.

i locked the keys in my 1985 toyota truck a few years ago. i had to go to the dealer for a spare. they would not give me another key unless i showed proof of ownership. i had to go home and get my title before they would cut me a key.

the same thing happened with my wifes 2000 ford fowctus. they brought us a key and we had to show ownership of the vehicle.

·
Registered
205 Posts
even if they couldn't start the car to steal it, they could remove some valuables, radio, nav etc.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
In my years of law enforcement I have never seen a car taken this way based on evidence at the time the vehicle is recovered. I guess it might have been possible with older cars but it is really not an issue with newer cars. We in law enforcement encourage you to ADD vin numbers to windows etc. to help reduce auto theft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts