Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The VIN sticker on the drivers door has been peeled off. Is there any way to tell when my 2006 Commander was produced from the VIN? Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the position 10 of your VIN, if it say 6, then it was assembled in 2006.
Thanks. I am trying to find out exactly when it was produced. The VIN door sticker would have the month and year it was produced. I was wondering if the VIN would be able to narrow it down to month and year as well.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
The VIN would give you year only. Do you have the original window sticker? You can also order a replacement VIN sticker through the dealer if needed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Those stickers don't just peel off. Missing stickers are USUALLY a tell tale sign that the vehicle was involved in an accident involving the driver's side door and the door was either thoroughly painted or replaced. I don't know if you know this or not but it is just a heads up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those stickers don't just peel off. Missing stickers are USUALLY a tell tale sign that the vehicle was involved in an accident involving the driver's side door and the door was either thoroughly painted or replaced. I don't know if you know this or not but it is just a heads up.
I am a State Trooper and well aware of that. I bought the vehicle used.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Tpr?
Try looking at various underhood components, like the alt case, rad hoses, air filter case etc.
These are usually date stamped and because of 'Just in time' part arrival the date stamped is usually the date the vehicle was assembled.
Look for two or more components with the same date.....that is usually the assembly date.
If you are lucky the previous owner threw the build sheet into the glove box or owners manual.
This even has the time of day stamped as the vehicle came off the assembly line.

Good luck,
Rob

edit: I just spent about 10 minutes looking at labels under the hood. No luck. Appears Jeep uses a coding system beyond date coding.
Sorry.
Rob

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The VIN sticker on the drivers door has been peeled off. Is there any way to tell when my 2006 Commander was produced from the VIN? Thanks.
I emailed Dodge through the contact form on web site and asked the exact production date on my Commander ... it took them a really long time to reply (like 2 months) but they gave me the exact date.

If you need the info sooner you should be able to call them?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tpr?
Try looking at various underhood components, like the alt case, rad hoses, air filter case etc.
These are usually date stamped and because of 'Just in time' part arrival the date stamped is usually the date the vehicle was assembled.
Look for two or more components with the same date.....that is usually the assembly date.
If you are lucky the previous owner threw the build sheet into the glove box or owners manual.
This even has the time of day stamped as the vehicle came off the assembly line.

Good luck,
Rob

edit: I just spent about 10 minutes looking at labels under the hood. No luck. Appears Jeep uses a coding system beyond date coding.
Sorry.
Rob
Thanks for info and for looking.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I emailed Dodge through the contact form on web site and asked the exact production date on my Commander ... it took them a really long time to reply (like 2 months) but they gave me the exact date.

If you need the info sooner you should be able to call them?
I will email Dodge. Good suggestion.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I emailed Jeep yesterday and just received a response this morning. Outstanding response and I am impressed.

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center regarding your 2006 Jeep Commander.
We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
In response to your email, our records indicate that the build date of your vehicle is October 3, 2005.
If we can be of any assistance to you in the future, please let us know.
Thanks again for your email. We value you and your business.
Sincerely,
Katherine Ander
Customer Service Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
If you take your VIN to the parts dept and ask them to print a build sheet, that will have the exact build date.
Not all dealers will do it. We have had some members who asked the dealer for it and they couldn't or wouldn't do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts