Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and new to posting. I am interested in getting a vinyl wrap this week, any ideas of some bad ass colors for the XK?

It is Currently Desert Storm Tan

Looking into Satin Black, Matte Black or a bright color

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
OD green with a white star on the hood

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
jeeepapocalypse said:
I am interested in getting a vinyl wrap this week, any ideas of some bad ass colors for the XK?
I like it the way it is, why waste the money on a wrap that will last a year?
I am all for being unique & different, self expression is what makes this country great.

Now that being said, I have to agree with @Legofan.

I mean, what's the purpose of it?

I'm all for investing money in my XK - for things that will improve it's performance and/or function.

I don't see how a vinyl rap does either one.

Unless it's just for looks - because you don't like the color of your XK, then have at it - but if that's the case, why not just get it re-painted?

I think it looks good how it sits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like it the way it is, why waste the money on a wrap that will last a year?

BTW, OD is a terrible color.
Thanks LegoFan, I don't like the OD after seeing it either, however, I will get a green wrap - just to be different. The wrap actually can get insured and protects the original paint job. I am getting has a 4 year warranty on it, including any type of scratches, dings/dents/peeling to the wrap; will be replaced for free. With paint, we have to pay for those damages via through our own expense or insurance....not trying to do either and I can always take it off if it is not appeasing.

To some, they may see it as wasting $$$ - I see it as an investment for business/marketing purposes,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am all for being unique & different, self expression is what makes this country great.

Now that being said, I have to agree with @Legofan.

I mean, what's the purpose of it?

I'm all for investing money in my XK - for things that will improve it's performance and/or function.

I don't see how a vinyl rap does either one.

Unless it's just for looks - because you don't like the color of your XK, then have at it - but if that's the case, why not just get it re-painted?

I think it looks good how it sits.
Thanks @BigBlue, your commander looks extremely different; and I love the way it looks. I am sure performance/functionality purposes it is great....but there is always that factor or little voice in our heads saying, what's next? The Performance/functionality of my truck has been Superb during it's entire lifespan with me of about 10 years. Under the hood it has been well taken care of through it's electrical/upgrades to performance life as well. In my mind as I was explaining to LegoFan is that I see it more as an investment for business/marketing purposes, but taking the unique approach of what nobody else has. In SOCAL, everyone has a wrangler, a G wagon, rangerover in all colors, but they don't have a "It factor" about them. The commander is something different and is rarely seen; well in my neighborhood - It pops; a wrap is just an extra accessory to add to the What's next list! :)

Repaint = Original paint will be gone forever, will indefinitely lose it's value
Wrap = I can remove/replace whenever I want if It's not appeasing to me, without affecting original paint

After seeing your neat front bumper, and your roof LED's facing towards the side of your XK, it illuminates the idea of getting something similar!

Thanks for the kind words!

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
If you are using your Commander as a bill-board of some type for business/marketing purposes, that makes more sense.

Just out of curiosity, how much experience do you have with this stuff?

Have you ever had another vehicle wrapped with vinyl wrap?

I'm just wondering how easy it is (or isn't) to take off - and does it have any adverse affects on the factory paint job when you take it off.....

I know what's advertised....just curious if you have any first-hand experience with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not hard to put on. I did my wife wheels today. About 4 hours total and that included wash time. Comes off easy. My 10 year old changed her back brakes and rotors while I did it. I put vinyl tint on her tail lights a couple months ago and it's holding up very well. I wouldn't recommend using a cheap vinyl. I only use 3M or VViViD.

07 XK Overland 5.7L 2" lift with 265-70-17

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Not hard to put on. I did my wife wheels today. About 4 hours total and that included wash time. Comes off easy. My 10 year old changed her back brakes and rotors while I did it. I put vinyl tint on her tail lights a couple months ago and it's holding up very well. I wouldn't recommend using a cheap vinyl. I only use 3M or VViViD.

Your 10 yr old?

That's awesome.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
That's really great to see.

I for one, appreciate you sharing the pics.

I wish my father was a little more mechanically inclined when it came to cars and trucks.

My father taught me a lot about boats, trailers & marine applications.

He also taught me a bit about electrical and electronics - he was an R & D engineer.

·
Registered
336 Posts
man that is awesome!!! They want to do my jeep next?????

My dad was never around so the little car knowledge I have came from working on my 68 mustang. Never touched electrical stuff then and still not sure if I want to now lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know the feeling. My dad was great at brewing beer but wasn't the mechanical type. He created and taught a brewing class at the local community college. I built his brew system. Which I now have it all. I'll be setting up a brew house/storage building next year after we move to the new house.

I want to instill in the boys to fix things instead of thing it away. I only teach them the correct way and take their time. I enjoy the time with them as well, it's my bonus. My 10 year old doesn't know it yet, but he and I will be rebuilding the Cherokee so he can get it for his 16 birthday. He loves that Jeep. He draws Jeep pictures and it's always the Cherokee.

Jeep accessories aren't the only thing I build. My hobby is metal working. Built a trailer from scrap warehouse pallet racks and still working on a new grill from an old compressor. Many other things to start on with the Jeep. Anyone ever seen body conforming rock rails? I like the tube rails but I think the extra few inches with help with clearance. They will be on my to do list.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks LegoFan, I don't like the OD after seeing it either, however, I will get a green wrap - just to be different. The wrap actually can get insured and protects the original paint job. I am getting has a 4 year warranty on it, including any type of scratches, dings/dents/peeling to the wrap; will be replaced for free. With paint, we have to pay for those damages via through our own expense or insurance....not trying to do either and I can always take it off if it is not appeasing.

To some, they may see it as wasting $$$ - I see it as an investment for business/marketing purposes,
That's pretty sweet! No idea they warranty it that long. I've seen some videos of guys doing their wheels and it came out crappy. Yours look great and it looks like you didn't tear it, nice work.

I bought some VViViD Carbon fiber wrap for my chrome door moldings and after that maybe chrome bezel around the shifter console. I bought a primed grill and having a local shop paint to match the rest of the paint. They won't pain t the chrome.

I'm not a fan of chrome and it's a bit out of place on my 2010.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was going to wrap mine as well, but decided to go even cheaper and Plasti-Dip the whole thing

About 50-60 bucks and a couple days of screwing around. If I don't end up liking it, whatever, I'll peel it off

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are using your Commander as a bill-board of some type for business/marketing purposes, that makes more sense.

Just out of curiosity, how much experience do you have with this stuff?

Have you ever had another vehicle wrapped with vinyl wrap?

I'm just wondering how easy it is (or isn't) to take off - and does it have any adverse affects on the factory paint job when you take it off.....

I know what's advertised....just curious if you have any first-hand experience with it.
Hey hey @BigBlue, so I have had two of my cars done in Avery Vinyl Wrap and they still look amazing til this day. I personally did not do the install on them and hired out a company. Depending on the brand as some of the others have described, their are particular ones to stick to and others that are not that good of quality. Most shops will say Avery, 3M and Oracle are the most used and some also include other brands like VVivid and Helix. It all depends on the amount you are interested on spending and the quality your willing to put within the wrap itself. I personally love my Jeep and give it the attention it deserves. It is driven the most and pampered on the pavement, yet gets dirty in the mud while offroading/climbing.

Also, with the base colors of a wrap; blue - green - white -yellow- orange - etc, they are all easier to install compared to the chrome wraps. The chrome wraps take quite a bit of work, more preparation to be done, Ceramic coating has to be applied to the chrome wrap after the chrome is installed. Sometimes even a base color of wrap would be put on the vehicle depending on the edges, curvature, etc. So more material overall is needed. The Ceramic coating prices vary also on quality ranging from $5-$400 for something as little as 2oz going for $150, so you would have to factor in the amount needed for your Rig and how much of the chrome wrap your using. Now if you have a chrome colored wrap, things really become difficult....

Two Years ago, I had a Mercedes CLK320 Wrapped in Silver-looks like a brand new car, it was originally white. Last Year, I had my Mercedes CLK63 AMG Cabriolet wrapped in Gloss Black. This has a sleek-elegant, yet powerful look to it. They are both in Avery material. The 63 also has 3M 5% Window Security Tint on it.
@willobegolfer, Love your wheels mate! The car really pops!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's pretty sweet! No idea they warranty it that long. I've seen some videos of guys doing their wheels and it came out crappy. Yours look great and it looks like you didn't tear it, nice work.

I bought some VViViD Carbon fiber wrap for my chrome door moldings and after that maybe chrome bezel around the shifter console. I bought a primed grill and having a local shop paint to match the rest of the paint. They won't pain t the chrome.

I'm not a fan of chrome and it's a bit out of place on my 2010.
@Legofan, Yes I was excited to hear that great news about the wrap being insurable as well. I am not into the Chrome on the door handles myself. Would love to see your carbon fiber handles once your project is done. I think it will have a pop to it!
@Meat Wagon, your Commander is BAD AZZ, I love the color on it. For the price, that is one of the best colors I've seen on a Commander. It even aligns with your license plate - Good Work mate!

·
Registered
303 Posts
@Legofan, Yes I was excited to hear that great news about the wrap being insurable as well. I am not into the Chrome on the door handles myself. Would love to see your carbon fiber handles once your project is done. I think it will have a pop to it!
The door handles on mine are painted which makes the chrome door moldings out of place and why I'm going to wrap them.

I'll definitely post pics though.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts