Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Looks Great, were they pieces, or did you cut them out of a sheet?

Swanny
It does look good.

I was going to ask the same question Swanny.

I have a feeling he had to cut them to fit out of a sheet, which would be a real pain in the arse.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yes, I had to cut them out of a sheet and use a small utility knife to trim and fold edges. It wasn't too bad. Took me about an hour to get it the way I wanted. I do love it though so I'm glad I took the time to do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
It looks really good (although I'm not much of a woodland camo kinda guy). I did the same thing, but on less components and I used carbon fiber vinyl. It looks fantastic according to many people who see it, but I'm wishing i just used black, I've grown a bit since I've done it and i think carbon fiber vinyl looks a little "tacky" now. But i do like that you showed it off, maybe more people will do this type of thing and see it's a really cheap yet effective personalization mod.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
It looks really good (although I'm not much of a woodland camo kinda guy). I did the same thing, but on less components and I used carbon fiber vinyl. It looks fantastic according to many people who see it, but I'm wishing i just used black, I've grown a bit since I've done it and i think carbon fiber vinyl looks a little "tacky" now. But i do like that you showed it off, maybe more people will do this type of thing and see it's a really cheap yet effective personalization mod.
I like the Camo look, Real-Tree camo in particular. I already have a ton of Real-Tree Camo in my interior, seat covers, steering wheel cover and visor pouches.

I think Core did a great job.

My only concern is when you stick something on, I always worry about how long will it be before it starts to peel off.

Hey Core, I'm curious - did you remove any of those pieces when you put the vinyl on them - in order to get better coverage around the edges?

Or did you put the vinyl on while they remained in place?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I like the Camo look, Real-Tree camo in particular. I already have a ton of Real-Tree Camo in my interior, seat covers, steering wheel cover and visor pouches.

I think Core did a great job.

My only concern is when you stick something on, I always worry about how long will it be before it starts to peel off?

Hey Core, I'm curious - did you remove any of those pieces when you put the vinyl on them - in order to get better coverage around the edges?

So I've had my vinyl on for over 5 years so i can actually answer that question. I wrapped a few of the same pieces core did, and for me it's held up 99%. There are 1 spot on the edge of 2 different pieces i may not have done so well on and they bubbled up slightly, and i really mean only slightly. The finish is as it was when i applied it. I'll try to get some pics for you when i get my jeep back.

And core, I'm not trying to hijack your post. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
So I've had my vinyl on for over 5 years so i can actually answer that question. I wrapped a few of the same pieces core did, and for me it's held up 99%. There are 1 spot on the edge of 2 different pieces i may not have done so well on and they bubbled up slightly, and i really mean only slightly. The finish is as it was when i applied it. I'll try to get some pics for you when i get my jeep back.

And core, I'm not trying to hijack your post. Lol.
Alright SH,

Then I'll pose the same questions to you;

Did you remove any of those pieces when you put the vinyl on them - in order to get better coverage around the edges?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alright SH,

Then I'll pose the same questions to you;

Did you remove any of those pieces when you put the vinyl on them - in order to get better coverage around the edges?

I was wondering the same thing! :laugh2:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ooh, my bad I never saw it lol, keep in mind I'm military, I do long deployments without internet.

To answer the question, I did remove the metal surround to wrap it, and I regretted it. I also did a wrap on my sister-in-law commander, without removing the pieces, I looked that way better.

Update: I regretted it because that metal piece bent in a lot of places and I never really got the metal back to it's original shape, it's just slightly bent in several places. Removing the entire bezel though is definitely a must, especially since that part is actually really easy.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Ooh, my bad I never saw it lol, keep in mind I'm military, I do long deployments without internet.

To answer the question, I did remove the metal surround to wrap it, and I regretted it. I also did a wrap on my sister-in-law commander, without removing the pieces, I looked that way better.

Update: I regretted it because that metal piece bent in a lot of places and I never really got the metal back to it's original shape, it's just slightly bent in several places. Removing the entire bezel though is definitely a must, especially since that part is actually really easy.
Oh brother, sometimes I think you forget, I'm a U.S. Merchant Marine, I work for the Navy and I'm on deployment right now - in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba at the moment. One thing I know is that unless your ship's network is jacked up, you guys almost ALWAYS have internet.....so, don't give me that you go on long deployments without internet story - unless you are stationed on a sub of course, then I can give you a pass. :wink3:

Anyway, thanks for the reply my friend.

·
Registered
359 Posts

Oh brother, sometimes I think you forget, I'm a U.S. Merchant Marine, I work for the Navy and I'm on deployment right now - in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba at the moment. One thing I know is that unless your ship's network is jacked up, you guys almost ALWAYS have internet.....so, don't give me that you go on long deployments without internet story - unless you are on a stationed on a sub of course, then I can give you a pass. /forums/images/JeepCommander_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

Anyway, thanks for the reply my friend.
I was USS Ohio (G) for a while. I'm not anymore, I've got some medical issues that got me sub DQ'd. Even the short time I was on the stennis though, I was way too busy qualifying to use the half working internet there to even contact my wife. Reactor department over there was SUPER F'd up. No amount of self a$$ busting there was enough, and upper chain was always on EVERYONE'S a$$.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
I was USS Ohio (G) for a while. I'm not anymore, I've got some medical issues that got me sub DQ'd. Even the short time I was on the stennis though, I was way too busy qualifying to use the half working internet there to even contact my wife. Reactor department over there was SUPER F'd up. No amount of self a$$ busting there was enough, and upper chain was always on EVERYONE'S a$$.
Sounds like one of those commands that you're glad is in the rear-view mirror.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts