Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone experienced this same issue?

Over the past few months, I noticed when I start the jeep remotely, sometimes the “Voltage Warning Light” illuminates after the engine starts up, the light stays on. The charging system is not charging when this light illuminates. This happens about 50 % of the time I remote start.

If I put the key fob in the slot, turn the engine off and re-start the engine using the key fob, the engine starts, and the “Voltage Warning Light” turns off like normal and Alternator is charging 14+ volts.

When I start with the key fob, everything works as normal.

No Codes. Battery 1 year old, no starting issues.

Before I start troubleshooting, has anyone experienced this same issue?

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
@vjsimone, please do not create more than one thread (cross-posting) on the same subject as it is against the forum rules. I have deleted the other duplicate thread you created.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Has anyone experienced this same issue?

Over the past few months, I noticed when I start the jeep remotely, sometimes the “Voltage Warning Light” illuminates after the engine starts up, the light stays on. The charging system is not charging when this light illuminates. This happens about 50 % of the time I remote start.

If I put the key fob in the slot, turn the engine off and re-start the engine using the key fob, the engine starts, and the “Voltage Warning Light” turns off like normal and Alternator is charging 14+ volts.

When I start with the key fob, everything works as normal.

No Codes. Battery 1 year old, no starting issues.

Before I start troubleshooting, has anyone experienced this same issue?
Get an inexpensive OBD reader and read the CEL when the warning light comes on. You should get a code and then can go from there.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have been experiencing a similiar situation. Sometimes when I use the remote starter, the CEL stay ons. It goes out after a few cycles.

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
I have been experiencing a similiar situation. Sometimes when I use the remote starter, the CEL stay ons. It goes out after a few cycles.
First thing I would check for would be corroded connectors on the starter.

This can cause a lot of different issues.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get an inexpensive OBD reader and read the CEL when the warning light comes on. You should get a code and then can go from there.
I don't get a CEL when this happens.

But if you mean, check the Codes when the “Voltage Warning Light” illuminates, i have not done that, but will next time it happens. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just for clarification, my issue is that the “Voltage Warning Light” (Battery Light) illuminates ocationally during remote start, not my CEL.

In your case you should be getting codes.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
My battery light came on earlier this year. My alternator was failing and sending too much voltage. Alternator was running extremely hot as well. I would check voltage output at idle. Replaced alternator & battery all good for last three months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts