Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an RDS radio, nav, VES. i have found this item on ebay 82209617AC search that, will this work for iphone integration? also looking for somewhere to get a custom dock installed for power. i have tried searching this thread and haven't found much.

thanks alot

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
No, it won't charge the newer ipods/itouch and won't work at all with the iPhone. It's also been discontinued by Mopar, so aftermarket/second hand is the only way to get one.

There are better aftermarket solutions for integrating an ipod or mp3 player into the factory radio, just do a search and you'll find a bunch of info on it here.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it won't charge the newer ipods/itouch and won't work at all with the iPhone. It's also been discontinued by Mopar, so aftermarket/second hand is the only way to get one.

There are better aftermarket solutions for integrating an ipod or mp3 player into the factory radio, just do a search and you'll find a bunch of info on it here.
i have searched, but not really had any luck knowing what works with my unit and what doesn't. i only get a few search results, what should i search for?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok, most the threads i can find have links to non working ebay auctions....so could anyone please help me?

also, i don't see anything relating to an RDS system, only RAK REC stuff like that, do i have the right system model? it says this in the top left corner of the system, maybe i am looking in the wrong place?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
I have not heard of the RDS model. I think the RDS you are seeing on the front of the unit is an anacronym for Radio Data System, which means it is capable of displaying song information imbedded in the radio broadcast.

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
What year and model is your Commander ? Can you post a pic of the unit ?

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
07 limited and it has nav/sat/ves. I can post a pic in a bit
I'm pretty sure you have the REC unit. But you can post a pic just in case.

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
Yes, that is the REC unit.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, great, REC radio, then what are my options, i'll search again as well now since i was probably searching for RDS, but anything u can recommend? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
ok, great, REC radio, then what are my options, i'll search again as well now since i was probably searching for RDS, but anything u can recommend? thanks.
Sorry bro, but my area of expertise is searching for information. Someone else will have to help you with that.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok np, at least now i know what i have...so thanks for that.

ok somebody else please, i'm thinking i can use this part number X3-CHRY04 from P.I.E. with the CHRY02/PC-POD2. i'm not really sure as the info on the site isn't as detailed as i need.

or if anyone else has any ideas, that would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you ever have any luck finding the right sollution? I am in the exact same spot. I have seen the nice mods on here but really... what I want is to plug in my iPhone and have a larger version of the exact interface to work with (touch screen, and hands free ;-) I really dont need anything but what is on the phone.I have found solutions that are close but nothing that makes me really happy.

·
Registered
419 Posts
A simple touch output screen would be great, but I don't think it really exists yet. I have an iPhone 3G-S, and I've been very pleased with a dock/charger/mount/FM transmitter system I picked up from Amazon. Used it from one end of the country to the other, and it was terrific. Some of these FM transmitters are ridiculously good at blocking channel static for good sound. I wouldn't recommend any old one, but the specific one I'm using is fabulous. Brand is Accessory Power, I think.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Do you have the rear seat DVD? I wanted something fully integrated as well, but there isn't a good solution. I ended up getting an a/v cable (that also charges from the accessory outlet) from the apple store along with a windshield suction holder for the iPod (I have the Touch and an iPhone). The cable hangs in front of the dash - there is someone on this forum who actually drilled into his dash to hide the cable. Mine is tucked nicely between the console and the passenger seat running back to the VES. It's not quite "full integration", but it works great, it was cheap (under $100) and doesn't look too bad.

If you don't have VES then this won't help...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I used the VES jacks myself for awhile, and they really do work well. The downsides for me: (1) no charging without running another line to the cig-port, which further rat-nests the interior of the rig; and (2) you cannot run video and iPod/iPhone at the same time, which was important on long-distance trips.

I wrote about the dock solution I found on my website. Since it has performed well and was very cheap, I remain very pleased with it. One addendum that I probably ought to put on the site is that the left-hand cig-port is only life with the ignition, so now I can just leave the dock plugged in all the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had to commute back and forth from Austin to Houston for a few months and tried several FM transmitters (even one 'monster' that was 80 bucks) during that time. None worked well. I was really disappointing. Recently I bought the proclip mounting system and am really happy with it. But that only solves 1 of many problems.

-notes on ProClip-
This thing is nice... I got the $29 holder that uses whatever cable you provide. It securely holds the cable and phone while allowing me to easily connect and disconnect. Right now the cable at the bottom just supplies power but since I can replace it with whatever cable I want it allows for later improvements without the expense and extra 1/2 inch of the pass through.
Beware! Once you click this think into place on your dash it isnt going anywhere. Its kinda hard to test locations and if you dont get it right on the first try... you might be living with it that way.
-nuff on that-

I ran a headphone-RCA cable from the phone to the DVD player in the back. This does work but the VES is a pain... I have to turn the phone volume all the way up and hit the mode button over and over until the DVD player senses the audio and plays. Audio books that have pauses in them will flat cut out and pick up 15 seconds later... stuff like that. In other words (for those new to this feature) the Aux-in has to 'hear' the device or it turns off the functionality and doesn't even offer the selection. It would be like the FM option disappearing if it couldn't find a station (or worse yet the radio station you were listening to hit a spot of dead-air) not even allowing to to hunt for one manually.

So this really did help a lot with some of my problems... I now get in my Jeep, drop the phone quickly into a secure spot that is easily accessible while driving, plug in the headphone jack and start clicking the mode button.

One step closer...
... more to come later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts