Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 limited 4.7L, no tow package. Called dealer and they said of course hitch, wiring harness, and trans cooler...
Then he said i need to change the rack and pinion at a cost of 2200 dollars!
From what i understood, both those with tow package and those without are both a 3.73 ratio?? Are they lying?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive read alot, and no one has said anything about changing it to tow....and they all seem to be towing substantial weight.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The 3.55 came on Commanders w/v-6 and qtII......a rare combination.
The 3.07 came on the v-6 qtI and v-6 2wd.
The 3.73 came on any v-8 Commander be it qtII or qdII or 2wd.
There were no other ratios available so, in this case, your dealer knows not of what he speaks.
There are additional cooling capabilities that did come with the tow packages, and of course, the hitch (1.5" reciever/ 2" reciever) and a corresponding 4 wire or 7 and 4 wire harness.

Rob

·
Registered
329 Posts
I didn't have the tow package on my 2007 Commander with QII. When I checked it had the 3.73 axle ratio and I believe a cooler on the radiator. Don't know if it's a tranny cooler or oil cooler. I opted to order the same set up as what comes with the factory set up and have the dealer install it. I had no problem towing my Passport 285RL, which weighed in at just over 5000 lbs. I ran it from Florida to Massachusetts. I had one instance while driving up a mountain and some 18 wheeler cut in front of me to kill my head of steam, the temp gauge when to almost hot. No problem after that. Outside of the part for the trailer hitch install, I added no other parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool...thanks for the input. Bados, did you add the extra external cooling fan that came with the tow package as well, or just the wiring and hitch?
I hate to think that the dealer was just lying to me to get more money for a new ring and pinion that isnt even a possibility. Maybe i should go elsewhere...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts