Jeep Commander Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black commander with a chrome grille. I want to get rid of the chrome grille for a black grille. Chrome grille is in mint condition. Anyone interested in swapping? Or know of where I can get a black grille?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Take it off (very easy, pop the eight plastic rivets out of the top under the hood) sand it down, clean it with acetone, self etching primer, black paint and you're good dude!

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, along with my rear grab handles.

If you do want one, I've seen them on ebay for around $100.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the response...I actually thought about doing that but I would hate to sand it, paint it and then realize that the black doesn't match up with the rest of the body you know what I mean? Because the grill is chrome I have a feeling the black paint wouldn't look the same as the rest of the body. What do you think? Maybe just lots of sanding :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not exactly sure. I would hope there isn't too much sanding if you're using the self etching primer, but I'm not sure. It would be tough to sand! I think the black would look good. I would definitely go a flat black or mat black which wouldn't match your finish. If you wanted it to match the finish I'd go with a couple layers of clearcoat over it. Some people have done some cool things with the bedliner paint. I'm sure someone will post soon with more knowledge than me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.