Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am a new commander owner. I recently purchased an 06 Commander Limited with 75k miles that has a 2 inch lift and Monroe Sensatrac 58463 (F150) rear shocks. From the looks of the shocks, these must have been installed fairly recently. I noticed that I was hearing some strange noises when hitting larger bumps so I decided to check the suspension. I noticed (often happens) that the shock rubber shield on one side had slipped and was caught up in the shock overload spring. I took the shock off to get it re-attached and noticed that the top shock mount on the body's outer hole was oblong and worn almost completely through. After studyiing this I noted that the F150 Sensatrac shocks have a narrower top rubber mount than the standard Jeep shocks. The person who installed these shocks did not space the top mount so the bolt, though tightened was not tight enough to keep the shock mount bolt from flexing etc. This caused the outer mounting hole to wear severely in a very short time. Needless to say I had to fabricate some reinforcement patches and weld them to the outer mount area. I am sure most of you may know this already but just a warning to anyone who has installed these Sensatrac shocks #58463 that may not know this. It is a good idea to space the shock correctly and sandwich the outer mounting hole with thick washers on both sides of the mount hole. This helps to reinforce the mount and reduce flexing.

Anyway - I hope this saves someone some grief.

Dan

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. Haven't posted a pic yet but will soon. I'm enjoying my new (to me) Commander immensly. Have owned a few Jeeps in the past and a couple of Landcruisers. My last Jeep was a 97 Grand Cherokee. When I sold it I had 258K miles on it with the original 4.0 engine.

Dan

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome the forum! Matt and I stated very clearly in the installation thread for these shocks how many washers were needed. The problem is when mods like this get passed around information gets lost. Have you posted a photo of your Jeep yet?
What's the link to that thread?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking to buy a Commander in the near future and I've noticed in the pictures of the consoles that not all Commanders have Quadra trac emblems by the shifter. Does this mean it is not Quadra trac? What other transmissions do Commanders come with? And do they have any inherent problems?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I am looking to buy a Commander in the near future and I've noticed in the pictures of the consoles that not all Commanders have Quadra trac emblems by the shifter. Does this mean it is not Quadra trac? What other transmissions do Commanders come with? And do they have any inherent problems?
:icon_confused:

Your post is not in any way related to this thread.

Start a new thread, and we would be happy to answer your questions.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Luckyse7ens already scolded you, but more importantly, you'll get a much better response if you just start a new thread asking your question, just go to the Commander General Discussion board and click the button for Start a New Thread, folks will be glad to answer your questions.

BTW, transmissions have nothing to do with what 4WD system you have, that all comes after the trans. Commanders have 3 different engines, 2 different transmissions and 4 different drivetrain options, post a question and we'll explain it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts