Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forums for the past 3/4 hr but couldn't find an answer so I thought I'd post a new thread.

If I change the spark plugs myself will it void my warranty? I have 25266 mi (40622km) on my Jeep.
I've changed plugs a lot of times before on my other vehicles. The Commander is idling kinda rough but a lil smoother now that I've used injector cleaner. My first fill I calculated 10.7 MPG lol. I've had it for over a week & filled up 3 times so far but it's been real cold & I did a lot of driving. & Yes I did know that this vehicle would be thirsty prior to purchase, my dad who is a licenced mechanic suggested changing the plugs to smooth out the idle & get a few more MPGs.

·
Banned
277 Posts
The warranty documents do not specifically say that performing your own maintenance will void the warranty. See pages 14-18 on the warranty PDF link below, which describes the "What's Not Covered" section. While it "recommends" using the dealership for maintenance, it does not outright say it is required for the terms. However, like CollinsGTO said, your warranty will not apply to repairs needed to fix your mistakes or modifications that damage the vehicle. Summary - go for it, don't screw up, and you'll be fine.

https://www.jeep.com/crossbrand/warranty/pdf/2010_Warranty_FINAL_090109.pdf

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Warranty covers defects or flaws in the parts, materials and workmanship.

i.e. if something that shouldn't break, does break before it reasonably should break, it is covered under warranty.

If something breaks because the owner did it, didn't do (like preventative maintenance), it is NOT covered under warranty.

Even if you use a dealership, you should still keep good records, if you do the maintenance yourself, you should keep good records and receipts. If the dealer wants to argue about honoring warranty because you didn't do the maintenance or use the correct parts/fluids, the records and receipts will settle the argument quickly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Thanks guys!
So doing the preventative maintenance early should be ok then? The recommended spark plug change is 30000 mi. & i am at 25266mi. less than 5000mi away but earlier than the recommended.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts