Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any does this, or has, washed out the engine. I know of people who do this on vehicles. I personally have never done this, but did over the weekend wipe it all down a with a damp cloth, since it had plenty of dust and dirt collected from some of my last offroad outings where i had water up in to the motor area. I know there are people in the forum that work at dealer ships and others that may know how the used car dealers take a motor and make it look new again by cleaning it out. I know there are few tricks to doing this, but not sure what they all are with the commander, covering parts ,etc.....
searched but couldnt find any threads on this. Just wondering any thoughts on washing out the engine, good idea, bad idea, otherwise, how to advice advice, etc.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i use the pressure washer at the car wash. they have a spray for the engine, i use that first, let it sit. then i spray it off. keep the sprayer further back so you don't damage anything. don't spray water up your intake. i also like to keep the motor running while i'm spraying it off.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I would avoid Simple Green as a detergent. I used it once to clean my engine on an older car and it turned all the black rubber hoses white. Looked pretty funky, but it didn't actually harm anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use to clean my engine with the old can cleaners - the ones where you heat the engine up, then spray on, they foam and you hose off. These were really harsh, and would remove the dirt nicely, but would make all the plastics look bad. I'd then spray armor all on the hoses, and just let them dry. The engine looked fantastic until I drove around, and dirt would stick instantly to all the armor all I had sprayed on the engine!

Just squirt some citrus cleaner on the engine, then kind that is available at your local auto parts store, then hose it off. use a gentle brush for some hard dirt.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
After couple of off-road trip in sand, I used to wash the engine by water get at car wash and trying to avoid the fuse boxes at the right side and concentrate more at the front of the engine where the sand hit more.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wondered if leaving it run would be a good option. do you think it would be hard on the altenator

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I always keep the engine off and try to avoid washing the engine when its warm.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I wondered if leaving it run would be a good option. do you think it would be hard on the altenator
Believe it or not, alternators are basically waterproof. They are designed to survive in a wet environment, as are all components under your hood. If you get mud in your alternator, that can cause problems. Just ask the Ford Escape guys who drive offroad through mud and muddy puddles. Unfortunately for them, their alternators sit very low and are suspectible to damage caused by that type of "mud" driving. I remember reading their a post on their forum a couple of years ago where six or seven of them followed each other on a off-road trail and every one of them had alternator failure after driving through one particular muddy water hole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Temperature Change

In college, I worked at a car wash/detail shop - and we were always told by the management to NEVER under any circumstances power spray an engine that was currently running, or was still hot.

Their stance on it was that the change in temperature from the cold water, hitting the hot block/engine parts could lead in cracking and damage. Which, if your know your physics is possible but I'm unsure how likely.

I wouldn't risk what was stated above. They make some pretty decent cleaners that you can apply in the driveway after the car has been sitting, and spray them off.:ugh2:

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
In college, I worked at a car wash/detail shop - and we were always told by the management to NEVER under any circumstances power spray an engine that was currently running, or was still hot.

Their stance on it was that the change in temperature from the cold water, hitting the hot block/engine parts could lead in cracking and damage. Which, if your know your physics is possible but I'm unsure how likely.

I wouldn't risk what was stated above. They make some pretty decent cleaners that you can apply in the driveway after the car has been sitting, and spray them off.:ugh2:
I understand that theory and it makes sense; however, consider how many people who drive their Jeeps (or other vehicles) offroad through water crossings. I've seen countless people enter a pond thinking that it was shallow, only to submerge their entire front end in water. And nobody ever cracked their block or heads because of the cold water hitting the hot engine. So I don't think it's too risky to clean your engine while it is hot and/or running.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I understand that theory and it makes sense; however, consider how many people who drive their Jeeps (or other vehicles) offroad through water crossings. I've seen countless people enter a pond thinking that it was shallow, only to submerge their entire front end in water. And nobody ever cracked their block or heads because of the cold water hitting the hot engine. So I don't think it's too risky to clean your engine while it is hot and/or running.
Or you could use warm or hot water. It would clean better anyway.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Or you could use warm or hot water. It would clean better anyway.
That's true, but it might be difficult for some people to get warm water out of their hose or pressure washer. For me it would be easy because my hot water heater is right next to my garage, so I could hook up a hose to it and run it through the door. Maybe I'll have to try that next time...

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
This is something that I definitely need to do as I still have mud from the camping trip in there. Might ask my neighbor to borrow his pressure washer.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Gladly I clean my engine bays often for each car. I make it a habit to do it between 7500 to 10000 miles. It really does help avoid early wear to engine parts per grease build-ups, etc; you can also detects leaks easily as well. Good luck!
What do you clean your engine with?

·
Registered
452 Posts
What do you clean your engine with?
Heh, I just go to the local self-car wash, use the pressure washer unit provided. I first spray w/ the degreaser/tire-cleaner (varies between locations)... let it soak a good 3 mins, and then use the high pressure setting with given distance, and rinse away; avoid too close of contact to the engine. With the HEMI, there's all that plastic covers on the engine, so it's pretty protected. Make sure you thoroughly clean between the engine and radiator, as well as where the condenser sits. It makes wonders after it's all done and dried out.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Heh, I just go to the local self-car wash, use the pressure washer unit provided. I first spray w/ the degreaser/tire-cleaner (varies between locations)... let it soak a good 3 mins, and then use the high pressure setting with given distance, and rinse away; avoid too close of contact to the engine. With the HEMI, there's all that plastic covers on the engine, so it's pretty protected. Make sure you thoroughly clean between the engine and radiator, as well as where the condenser sits. It makes wonders after it's all done and dried out.
Thanks!!! Might get it done this week. It definitely needs to be cleaned.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok, sorry to resurrect an old thread but how is the engine cleaning going for everybody?

Truthfully, I've never really cared much about engine cleaning before but seeing as how the XK *was* so clean and purdy I'd like to keep it that way. It IS much easier to work in there when things are clean.

Anyway, I popped the hood tonight to refill the washer fluid and holy **** was it dirty in there! Didn't look like that the last time I was in there. It looked like the wife drove behind a salt truck with the hood open!
I wiped things down w/ detail spray as best I could, but it really needs to be hosed down.

So, what's the best way to do this? Go to the do-it-yourself car wash and use the pressure washer, or can I use the good 'ol garden hose at home? Better to use a fine mist, or just let 'er go full blast? I know I've heard engines are built to run in wet environments, but are the any areas I should be careful of (Batt, Alt, Fuse boxes, Plugs wires, etc)? Or should I just pay to have the stealer do it and have them be responsible if anything goes awry?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I just spray my engine off now and then with a pressure washer using warm to hot water keeping the nozzle about 18" or more away to ensure I am not cutting or knocking anything loose in there. Car wash pressure wands put out over 1200psi I think last time I talked to my friend who owns a car wash here his are set to 2400. Thats why people get nutty when you try to power wash your kids.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts