Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Commander and my dog out hunting in the North Georgia mountains the other day. We headed down a Forest Service road, taking it to the end, and then hopped on a much more rugged fire road to a little honey hole I know of.

Anyway, heading out from where I parked the Commander I needed to cross a stream (this is important). At the time, it was probably 15 feet across but no more than 3 or 4 inches deep. 6 hours later on the return, following some rain in the mountains, that stream was about 25 feet across and easily a 18 inches deep (with a swift current, I used my shotgun to help wade my way across).

Here's the Commander question. Had I continued up the fire road, I would have had to cross the stream itself. I didn't take my Commander because I don't have a lift on it yet. But assuming I put a 2 inch lift on it (which would have been adequate to clear the road at that point), would I have had enough clearance to get across the stream??

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think stock can handle 22 inches (according to Jeep), so figure it can probably do at least that along with the extra 2-3 inches of lift. The depth shouldn't be an issue, but for me I would be concerned about the moving water more than the depth...

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
x2 the water depth would not have been and issue. Crossing fast moving water obviously its a matter of common sense. If there are class 5 rapids where you are trying to cross then maybe you want to turn around. If the water is just a swift or fast current you can probably cross safely but you need to position yourself in a way that you are not only crossing the water but accounting for the force on the vehicle by going at an angle. Most of all only cross if YOU feel it is safe.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Remember......... GO SLOW!!!
Some people recommend slow but not too slow. I think the idea is to create a "bow wake" with the front bumper if you're in deep water to keep the water level as low as possible at the front.

I don't have any experience with deep water crossings, but the concept seems to make sense.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
There's s video on the web site where they test the Jeeps for thier Trail rated badge .. and they ford water over the headlights!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't really advise the "water over the headlights" test. Ha.
Opps .. good point ... didn't mean to sanction the practice :) ... if you watch the video a lot of that is wake too ...

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Well, one thing I do know about driving in water is that you're basically screwed if you allow water to get into the air intake. Water doesn't compress like air does, so if water gets into the cylinders, you've got big problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THanks. ANd the air intake would be located where??

I know some Land Rover guys have snorkles put on their trucks, but I always thought that was more of an exhaust issue?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
THanks. ANd the air intake would be located where??

I know some Land Rover guys have snorkles put on their trucks, but I always thought that was more of an exhaust issue?
Yeah, those snorkels are for air intake. Having it up high in the air means that it won't suck in water during deep water crossings.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I recall reading about the limiting factor for fording depth being the vent hose on the rear t-case. In which case a lift wouldn't practically change the depth you might be comfortable at. Perhaps some other members have more knowledge of this to share...

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I recall reading about the limiting factor for fording depth being the vent hose on the rear t-case. In which case a lift wouldn't practically change the depth you might be comfortable at. Perhaps some other members have more knowledge of this to share...
An easy modification would be to install a hose in place of the vent cap and then relocate that vent cap higher up to prevent it from taking on water.

I haven't checked our Commander yet, but our 4Runner has this done from the factory for the transfer case and center differential. For some reason, Toyota didn't do it for the rear differential, so a lot of guys pull install a hose in its place and relocate the spring-loaded vent cap up in near the fuel filler neck. It's an easy mod that only costs a couple of bucks and keeps the water out of the drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I have been through some deep water I would guess it was 26-28 inches, and I just recently did my 30K mile service. Both front and rear diffs and the t-case were free of any water,mud, or ect. I don't think venting is an issue with anything other than the engine (intake) and possibly the transmission but I haven't gotten any water in those either.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have not got under an XK to check either ... but most 4X4's have long hoses and remote vents on all the gearboxes spicificly so they won't suck in water when fording .. I'd be surprised if the XK is an exeption?

Has anyone checked???

·
Registered
807 Posts
i too have been in some fairly deep water this past summer and shortly after i was in it i had the diff fluids checked and they were clear....and later on had the diffs changed and all was still ok with them. if they were going to get water in them from fording with would have been in there.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
How about the TPMS sensors and wires in the wheel wells and other electrical stuff? I guess these are sealed, huh?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
How about the TPMS sensors and wires in the wheel wells and other electrical stuff? I guess these are sealed, huh?
All that stuff gets constantly sprayed with water anyway when it rains , so it probably dosen't make any difference when fording

1 - 20 of 25 Posts