Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife's commander is leaking behind the glove box that is pooling in the passenger floor boards. the liquid appears to be water and she says she hears it sloshing around behind the glove box while she's driving. i've been told that there is a reservoir of some sort that has drain holes that are likely clogged that backs the water up into the vent system.

can anyone tell me how to access the area to look for clogged drain holds to allow the water to run out?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Are you seeing water drain from the AC just under the front door? If not your AC drain may be clogged. Do a search this problem has been discussed. I have never had an issue with my 06XK.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you've been running the air conditioning and do not have any water leaking underneath, onto the ground, then your condensate pan is plugged. This is where the a/c coil is housed. It sweats and drips into the pan. The pan has a drain tube that terminates above the transmission that is nearly impossible to access. Some here have had success clearing this drain, while others have failed and ended up ruining their air conditioning systems....

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I just took my Dash and AC apart to replace the evaporator, and I can confirm what they are saying.

I have seen posts about sunroof drains, and they clogging/leaking and it comes out behind interior panels by the footwells or behind the dash. Even windshield leaks that do the same, so its worth checking to eleminate that as a cause.

But, sloshing water sounds behind the glove box sounds like a clogged AC evaporator drain to me.

The heat/AC is in a box under the dash, just over the transmission hump in the floor. There plastic box actually has a tube formed in it and it fits over a hole in the floor with a seal, so no real tube attached to the box, the box itself has the tube formed in it at the bottom and just extends out past the floor of the vehicle.

The evaporator, heater core and air blend doors are all contained in the box over the transmission hump, but the blower motor and fan is on the extreme passenger side with a retangular box inbetween them to connect them and carry the air from the blower motor. So if water builds up in the evaporator/heater core section, it would slosh back and forth in the rectangular box connecting to the blower motor/fan.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If you've been running the air conditioning and do not have any water leaking underneath, onto the ground, then your condensate pan is plugged....
Oh, and another point, if you have the rear AC unit, that will have lines running the length of the vehicle on the passenger side with another AC/Heat box in the rear passenger side of the vehicle.

The lines have a plastic box shield over them, and they will create condensation that collects as water in the plastic box shield, when you stop, you'll see water draining out of the plastic box shield over the lines, about midway on the passenger side, as well as water draining from the rear AC as well.

So keep that in mind, if you have the rear AC, you might still have a clogged drain in the front evaporator that is building up water in the AC/Heat box, but you will still see water draining from the middle and rear of the vehicle for the rear system.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what do i need to remove from the dash to access the condensate pan over the transmission hump?

·
Registered
13 Posts
ive got this same problem and i did the hole drilled i the side and connected a clear hose to drain the water if the drain hole gets blocked again. there is a penny in there that i moved when i did this fix.

unfortunately, the drain hole has clogged again causing the water to come out the makeshift drain tube into the floorboard. i need to route the plastic tubing through the passenger floorboard. i want to drill a hole somewhere in the passenger floorboard but dont want to mess up any a/c lines or ducts under the floorboard. anybody know where i can drill a 5/8" hole in my floorboard without messing something else up?

·
Registered
104 Posts
ive got this same problem and i did the hole drilled i the side and connected a clear hose to drain the water if the drain hole gets blocked again. there is a penny in there that i moved when i did this fix.

unfortunately, the drain hole has clogged again causing the water to come out the makeshift drain tube into the floorboard. i need to route the plastic tubing through the passenger floorboard. i want to drill a hole somewhere in the passenger floorboard but dont want to mess up any a/c lines or ducts under the floorboard. anybody know where i can drill a 5/8" hole in my floorboard without messing something else up?
That's a tough call not sure there is a clear spot. Did find a random you tube vid on the subject.
https://youtu.be/uhI6J9f1NYg

·
Registered
13 Posts
problem solved. the other night, i took the front wheel off, and removed the wheel well guard to identify where the a/c lines were. as i was trying to determine where to drill from the outside in, i pulled the carpet and pad back on the floor and found a rubber plug need the door. i pulled the plug, routed the tube under the carpet and through the hole. now the tube drains to the street.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Plastic "T" connector installed in the drilled hole with drain tube connected to lower arm. Earplug in upper arm.

Drain tube had been routed under carpet and through an existing hole in the floor (had rubber plug in it ) and out through frame members

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts