Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a signifigant amount of water dripping from under the vehicle. My ac is not on. My front window will also fog up at times. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Maybe a sunroof drain??? There are four and if one or more is plugged and the vehicle level is changed the water could run out the others. Just an idea....

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
what area of the vehicles is the drip coming from?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Not enough information, Sounds like the water is dripping outside the vehicle? what part of the vehicle? Has it been raining? Are you sure it is water?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Last year I noticed water dripping under bulkhead area and put it down to ac. Set off and windows steamed. 2 minutes later a heater hose blew and squirted coolant everywhere!! The hose came out of the bulkhead and leaked about 6 inch along.it had filled the heater box with coolant causing the steaming

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have a signifigant amount of water dripping from under the vehicle. My ac is not on. My front window will also fog up at times. Does anyone have any suggestions?
With the hood open so you can obseve, you will find the a/c compressor cycles even though you have not activated/ with button.
I have found the compressor cycling in most of the air distribution positions.
This is not endemec to just Jeep, most late models do this.
You will even find it cycling when in the floor heat only position.
That being said, you are likely seeing condensate.
If I'm right, the fogging you experience usually occurs immediatly at restart and clears in less than 30 seconds.
If thats the case, you are seeing the damp air that is in the heaterbox that was a result of the cold evap core causing condensation getting blown out of the vents and recondensing on the glass.
Then within 30 seconds the compressor engages and de-humidified air is blown from the vents.
And with that, the glass defogs almost instantly.
Anyways, most manufacturers are using the compressor in most air positions to act as a dehumidifier now days.
I know that one of the few positions it doesn't is the dot between the floor air and the dash air. I usually keep mine in this position to prevent compressor drag and corresponding fuel economy loss in the cooler times of the year (now). I close all the dash vents to stop upper air flow during this time of year as well.
Hope that was helpful,
........Rob

·
Registered
125 Posts
On my '08 small six banger I noticed liquid dripping from the underneath, passenger side, perhaps half-way past the front door. A/C was not on, but as Rob noted, the compressor is used for more than A/C these days. Of course there was no telling where the liquid originated from, it looked as if it had run down part of the vehicle and was dripping from a low point.

We were about 500 miles from home, in a new, untried vehicle; I wasn't at all happy until I found the liquid was indeed water - nothing to be concerned about. AFAIK, there's no fresh water on board the Jeep, so it couldn't be an internal leak. :)

We finished the trip, no issues; I've not noticed the dripping since we've been home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The liquid is dripping from beneath the vehice right by the muffler. I believe it to be water because it has no smell and it feels like water. In the morning Im going to look into what robby said. Thanks and ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The liquid is dripping from beneath the vehice right by the muffler. I believe it to be water because it has no smell and it feels like water. In the morning Im going to look into what robby said. Thanks and ill keep you posted.
Remember that the muffler has a weep hole in the front/rear header plate to drain condensate as well.
Now that we are having cooler mornings, it will tend to drip quite a bit of water as it warms the exaust, so don't let that concern you either.

.........Rob

·
Registered
258 Posts
do this...gather some of that water in a container

get a cup with a few cubes of ice

get your favorite mix...crystal lite, gator aid..ect.

ask wife if she'd like a drink.

If she complains or makes aweful facial expressions...then it probably wasn't water.

go to dealer after dropping wife off at hospital.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts