Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the specs on a Commander water fording??...I wanna test it out but don't wanna go to deep ya know!..:D

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Not sure where the transmission breather line is. Other than that, keep the snorkle above water.

The Patriot is supposed to have 19" water fording so the Commander must be at least as high. I found on a Australian web site that the Commander CRD 20" of water fording, so that should be about the same in the non-CRD model.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rubicontrail.net said:
Also, if you can, try to see where they routed the transmission and axle breather lines.
Dude I wouldn't even know what I was looking for:confused: !!..Lol..I traded in my Subaru STI for a Jeep Commander, So I don't know much about 4X4's!...:D

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
chaman said:
^^HAHA..yeah..they should know...:eek: :rolleyes: :D
LOL, I meant a mechanic could point out to him where any breather lines might be. Not that sales person could tell them what the fording depth was. Goodness, most (I know not all) sales people couldn't tell you a bit about a Jeep that you didn't know. Forget asking them about anything about Jeep history, they think it started with the CJ-7. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I looked underneath and one of the breather lines looks fairly low.

Tested it out though in low water and it was fine as well as fun!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I remember reading aout H2O depth in the Owner's Manual. Look in the off-road driving section for starters.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
SYCOHEMI said:
I looked underneath and one of the breather lines looks fairly low.
I haven't looked for this yet on mine (too busy dealing with a dead fuel pump issue on my Cherokee); what kind of tubing are they using for the breather lines? Could they be extended and routed up to the same location as the snorkel?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I took my Commander through three feet of water and no problems. We go off roading a lot and I use our Jeeps (Commander and GC) for hunting - that requires a lot of water crossing, mud, etc.

The breather/snorkel on the Commander is actually in a very bad place - right behind the headlight, lower than previous model year GC's.

Tips for crossing water:

go slow with your foot on the gas pedal to keep air flow going out of the tail pipe.

dont go in water that is higher that the top of the wheel wells.

and have fun.

·
Registered
80 Posts
it says in the book no more than 9 ninches in flowing water and 20 inches in still water.
I have been through deeper water and survived

·
Registered
118 Posts
three feet of water? Wow thats pretty deep.. I didn't think the commander would handle that thats about the height of the wheel wells right?

I am sure that I have take the jeep commander through a short cross of about wheel well height but I dont know how long of a crossing it could handle. The breathers if i remember looking at them they were fairly low i think that they are in a higher part of transmission hump..

·
Administrator
16,134 Posts
From the Jeep website:

"Hit that riverbed with confidence. Trail Rated® Jeep® 4x4s feature additional electrical and body sealing, along with a high air intake location for optimum water fording capability. Note: Do not attempt water fording unless depth is known to be less than 19 inches."

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
If you have spent any extended time in water it is a good idea to check your fluids, especially the differentials. Just look for milky fluid. If it is milky white it means that you got water in it. Change it as soon as you can.

Reactions: jeep5253
1 - 16 of 16 Posts