Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water pooling in drivers door jam

It has been raining a heck of a lot here in the Chicago area the last week or so, and I have noticed that on more than one occasion when I opened the drivers door, a bunch of water splashed down onto the ground. It appeared to be trapped inside the door jam. None of the wated leaked inside the vehicle which is good, just kind of odd how it got trapped where it was.

Has anyone else experienced this? I know there were some which had leaks on the passenger side which had something to do with the way the rubber gaskets were installed.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Re: Water pooling in drives door jam

Probably the fit of the bottom of the door is tight enough where the water that is running in the top doesn't have anywhere to drain out.

·
Registered
122 Posts

I also noticed this over the weekend when I washed my Commander. No water made it past the seal.... but I was a bit surprised when a nice splash of water hit my feet when I opened the door.

·
Registered
46 Posts

I get that when i wash the Truck. It's on the passenger side door though, so the same side as yours (LHS)

Like you say no water inside but just a puddle that splashes out when you open the door...........

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

It is just the WCSWS (Weather-Controlled Shoe Washing System) doing it's magic.

·
Registered
157 Posts

rubicontrail.net said:
It is just the WCSWS (Weather-Controlled Shoe Washing System) doing it's magic.
yep the W.C.S.W system :D occures on both my driving and passanger doors

·
Registered
25 Posts

I have the same problem. I especially hate it when it rains the night before and I forget. So when I go to work the next morning my feet get soaked. Anyone have an idea on how to fix this.

·
Registered
57 Posts

DAVA said:
I have the same problem. I especially hate it when it rains the night before and I forget. So when I go to work the next morning my feet get soaked. Anyone have an idea on how to fix this.
Don't go to work...:D

·
Registered
473 Posts

hey i got an idea! lets start a class action lawsuit!!!:D

i haven't noticed this problem with mine.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Hey guys,

I just caught this thread and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

The XK is a nice vehicle but it is designed to take off road and to ford water. Certain features that you'll be thankful for when off road may be inconvenient for you as a daily driver. Example:

Go out and open all four of your XK doors and you'll see that there is a seal 360 degrees around each opening. This is plain jane and prevents moisture from getting into the interior. Now look at each door and you'll see an additional seal that starts on the leading edge just below the window and runs under the door to the rear and back up again to just below the door latch mechanism. If you ever ford and/or run through muck, you'll be glad this is there because it will prevent that crap from filling up your door jamb. A negative side effect of this is that it will trap water that gets into the jamb from above. To help remedy this, look at the bottom leading edge of this seal and notice that it has three holes through it. This is to allow trapped water to escape. It is on the leading edge because the XK leans down forward when on level ground.

You can put additional holes in it to better the draining but this will defeat the seals ability to keep the crap out.

XKPearl

·
Registered
33 Posts

I have the same issue on both sides. It happens everytime it rains or I wash my car.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Yep - the design is better for off road adventures. Just got back from the Paragon trails in east PA and sure enough the water was there but not in the cabin.

And let me add - this Jeep is geared just right for off road trips. We were with two Wranglers and had a great time!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Got any pic of your off road experience you can post. Where is this trail located in PA ?

·
Registered
37 Posts

waiting for the pictures - people were pretty surprised to see a commander on the trails!

Paragon is located in Hazleton, PA. Really a good time. There is a Jeep event there in two weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I washed my JC yesterday, opened the door and water was draining out of the bottom of the front passenger door. The front driver side door had a clear plastic cover over the hole (which I removed). Is this normal for Jeep. I have owned many cars and have never had water flowing through the door cavity.

·
Registered
71 Posts
moose said:
I washed my JC yesterday, opened the door and water was draining out of the bottom of the front passenger door. The front driver side door had a clear plastic cover over the hole (which I removed). Is this normal for Jeep. I have owned many cars and have never had water flowing through the door cavity.
Every car ever made has drain holes in the door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Herd Mentality said:
Every car ever made has drain holes in the door.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi....thanks for the reply. I know every car door has drains holes, no window can be 100% tight. I am wondering if the doors filling up with water is a common Jeep problem. It just seemed like I was getting too much water. I will take it to the dealer. I was curoius what other Jeep owners were experiencing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have had our Commander for 2 weeks now. We too have noticed the water draining, especially on the passenger side doors.

I am aware that all cars have drain flow corridors or tubes, I just have never seen it flow from the outside of the interior door step after you open the door. Is this normal ?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.