Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what it is, but I don't think it's the sunroof. Here's a pic of it, I wanted to ask in case someone else has dealt with it and can immediately identify it. If not I'm going to take the passenger side front door weatherstripping off and check it after the weather passes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? That's where it leaks? I was thinking maybe it was the outer seal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked them a few weeks ago and no issues. It was also a downpour with zero visibility. Is it possible it was just too much rain for them to handle? I was sitting in the parking lot after work waiting for the rain to pass and it started happening, but as soon as I started driving it stopped and didn't do it again all the way home. It has a tarp over it now, I'll check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...

Cut the ends off of both drain tubes, there was some crap in them. Then I put it all back together, and put a hose on the roof and let it run for 10 minutes and it wasn't leaking. Sweet, maybe that was the issue.

Then I open my passenger front door and water is dripping out from INSIDE THE DOOR. There was a plastic plug and I pulled it out and it gushed out. At least half a gallon I'd say. Then I remove my floor mats, and both front and rear floor boards are soaked...

I'm not sure wtf is happening, but I'm pulling the seats out to clean it up properly and then I'm going to figure out what the hell the deal is.

Seems I fixed the leak in my roof liner, but found another in the process...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK -

The seal along the bottom of the passenger side window I think is leaking. The dew wipe I think it's called? I can't find them anywhere locally.

Is this seal meant to hold out water? If I run a water hose on the passenger door window, it fills up the inside of the door. I've verified this by taking the door panel off and watching it.

And I noticed very small dripping along back side of the sunroof. Has anyone ever done anything with the back drains on the sunroof?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK - I used clear packing tape on my sunroof. The Florida weather is torrential right now and I have to get it sealed until this bad weather passes. It's ghetto and it pisses me off that I'm having this much trouble on a vehicle I've made three payments on. That being said, I understand it's 10 years old, and my anger will pass.

I also used the clear packing tape on my side windows, so my jeep looks like a big 'ole piece of **** right now.

I've also got the front passenger seat out and the carpet pulled up so that it can air out. This has turned into a nightmare.

So, I need to purchase the side door window weather stripping, but I cannot find them anywhere. I need these, but for the Commander. Does anyone know where these can be purchased?

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
PickleSlice said:
So, I need to purchase the side door window weather stripping, but I cannot find them anywhere. I need these, but for the Commander. Does anyone know where these can be purchased?
This might seem like a silly question, but, did you check at the Chrysler/Jeep dealership?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This might seem like a silly question, but, did you check at the Chrysler/Jeep dealership?
I called the three in my area today and didn't get an answer from any of their parts departments unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
I called the three in my area today and didn't get an answer from any of their parts departments unfortunately.

Might be worth taking a drive out there in person and having the parts guy do some digging for you.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dont waste your time with the weather strip around the door. The leak in your headliner is coming from the rear sunroof drain. I had the same exact water mark. Both of my rear drains leaked. You'll have to carefully remove the sunroof plastic interior trim, be careful not to break the tabs... and pull down gently on the on the ceiling. shine a light towards the center of the rear doors and you'll see the rain gutters with blue tubes connected at the end. On mine, the rain gutter to drian tube adapter was leaking, as well as the tubes draining very slow. I had to remove the skylight trim pieces, rear door jambs, etc...this was a couple years ago, cant remember everything but it was a real pita!.. was able to acess the adapter fittings by pulling down at the skylight and sealing them with silicone. As far as clearing the rear drains, i used a pump sprayer and duct taped a piece of 3/8in copper tube to the end and fished it along the drain gutter, sunroof open, til i felt it insert into the rear tubes, and flushed it out with hot bleach water. The water came out just before the rear tires. The drain tubes are not accessible from below. They must terminate in the rockers. With the sunroof open, looking left and right, you'll see the aluminum troughs going to the front drain inlets. follow the aluminum to the rear and snake either plastin or copper tube til it inserts into the tube. You could blow it out with compressed air, but risk blowing the tubes off the fittings. The pump sprayer is low pressue, plus the bleach will aide in the cleaning. This went on for some time here before i was able to resolve the leak. definately had some input from here!Theres other writeups here on this issue. do a search here, maybe theres some pics to follow.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Good info rhobll, thanks for sharing.

I'll tell you, I have read all the posts of other people's sunroof problems, just like some of the posts in this thread and I just can't help but shake my head.

I know having sunroofs is nice, but, I don't know if they are worth all of the potential headaches down the road.

I'll be honest, I wanted one when I was looking at buying a Commander. It just so happened that when I found the one that had most of the things that I wanted - it didn't have a sunroof.

One of 2 small compromises I made considering it had almost everything else I was looking for (the other thing I wanted that it didn't have was leather seats) maybe it was for the best.

·
Registered
555 Posts
After seeing the commercial with the xk coming out of the ocean with the skylights and sunroof, had to have it. Should have researched some more.

The front drains are great as long as you pinch the ends off just below the carpet...the rears are a real pain though. They have just about no fall as they come off the adapters and actually travel uphill a bit before they drop down. And not accessible at this point. Theres definately a design flaw here.

I bought some synthetic leather/poly black and lite gray seat covers for the fronts ...they're a near perfect match! Been in place for around 5 years and are wearing, but still look good.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
After seeing the commercial with the xk coming out of the ocean with the skylights and sunroof, had to have it. Should have researched some more.
Well I have to admit, at times, I can be somewhat of an impulsive buyer, when I make up my mind that I want something, I buy it.

Sometimes I take my time and really do the proper research.

Then there are other times, where I buy something strictly on impulse. Usually, it works out fine more often than not - but there are those occasions where not doing enough research about an item has come back to bite me.

Fortunately, when I am buying things for my Commander, for the most part, I tend to do the proper research.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Im extremely impulsive because i do not like to shop and want to get it over asap!

If id known about all the sunroof issues, id definately steered clear. But now that its under control and i understand whats going on, glad i have it.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Im extremely impulsive because i do not like to shop and want to get it over asap!

If id known about all the sunroof issues, id definately steered clear. But now that its under control and i understand whats going on, glad i have it.
Yes of course, like I said, for me it was just purely by chance that I wound up buying a Commander that didn't have a sunroof - it wasn't by choice.

Props to you for having the patience to figure out the leak problem though.

That would have drove me nuts.

I just had to rip my driver's side seat apart to figure out why the power adjustments were not working. Turns out it was just an intermittent connection right by the switch.

Aggravated the hell out of me though because looking underneath the seat (which was my first impulse) there were about 6 (or so) different electrical connections under there. Took them all apart and blew them out with a can of compressed air.

The seat started working again for a few minutes and died again.

That was day 1.

Today, after a renewed sense of wanting to find the problem, I started poking around the outside of the drivers seat (closest to the door) and I found that the piece of plastic that the switch itself is mounted to, pops right out and that revealed 2 more connections (a smaller gray one and a larger black multi-pin one) and it was the large black connector that was apparently intermittent.

Just a side note - none of the connections I took apart had any kind of corrosion that I could see.

Took the larger black multi-pin connector apart, blew it out with compressed air and re-connected it and it worked fine the rest of today.

I really don't have the patience for that kind of stuff though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dont waste your time with the weather strip around the door. The leak in your headliner is coming from the rear sunroof drain. I had the same exact water mark. Both of my rear drains leaked. You'll have to carefully remove the sunroof plastic interior trim, be careful not to break the tabs... and pull down gently on the on the ceiling. shine a light towards the center of the rear doors and you'll see the rain gutters with blue tubes connected at the end. On mine, the rain gutter to drian tube adapter was leaking, as well as the tubes draining very slow. I had to remove the skylight trim pieces, rear door jambs, etc...this was a couple years ago, cant remember everything but it was a real pita!.. was able to acess the adapter fittings by pulling down at the skylight and sealing them with silicone. As far as clearing the rear drains, i used a pump sprayer and duct taped a piece of 3/8in copper tube to the end and fished it along the drain gutter, sunroof open, til i felt it insert into the rear tubes, and flushed it out with hot bleach water. The water came out just before the rear tires. The drain tubes are not accessible from below. They must terminate in the rockers. With the sunroof open, looking left and right, you'll see the aluminum troughs going to the front drain inlets. follow the aluminum to the rear and snake either plastin or copper tube til it inserts into the tube. You could blow it out with compressed air, but risk blowing the tubes off the fittings. The pump sprayer is low pressue, plus the bleach will aide in the cleaning. This went on for some time here before i was able to resolve the leak. definately had some input from here!Theres other writeups here on this issue. do a search here, maybe theres some pics to follow.

Wow, thank you so much!! I'll do that next weekend.

Today was an adventure. The carpet mat was totally ruined with all the water, so I pulled up the passenger side carpet, pulled out the carpet mat and replaced it with house carpet mat and it worked beautifully. So, the water damage is taken care of.

All four window seals are taped up tight as well as the sunroof with clear packing tape. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow about getting dew wipes.

Since I have everyone's attention, would it be the outer dew wipes that need to be replaced when water is getting into the doors? IF you spray the passenger side window directly, it fills the door up until it over flows into the cab.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I cut a few small slits in the bottom of the door seal so any water getting in would drain out....after a rain you'd open the door to a small flood on your shoe, and wet carpet. Winter was the worst. Water would get in there and freeze...go to get in the next morning and the door was frozen shut. I took all the rubber apart on the body and sealed everything with clear silicone. Have not had any of those issues since. Its either draining out of the slits cut in or not getting in at all. Just glad its gone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where did you cut the slits?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ultimately you want to prevent the water from coming into the door jamb...Not sure I was able to do that so I cut slits in the rubber seal on the bottom of the front doors. used a razor blade.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts