Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the story with the commander's leaking water?. I want to buy a used one 2006 or 2007 but hear that some have water leaks while others don't? Please help before I buy one. Thanks.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The water leaks are pretty much constant across all Commanders. Basically, the sunroof drain tubes were poorly designed and tend to clog. If the previous owner has fixed this, they won't leak. Otherwise, they eventually will.

Fortunately, as long as the leaks haven't damaged the electronics already, it's easy enough to modify the drain tubes to improve flow and prevent any future leaks. There are plenty of threads on that across this forum.

Basically, just check for any prior damage. The drain tubes exit in the front floorwells right behind the firewall, so you'll want to check there for problems. If there's no mildew or mold and all the electronics seem to be working, then you'll be fine. Just make sure to modify the drain tubes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine recently started doing this and it literally takes 5-10 minutes a side to fix! Ever since then I haven't had any problems even with like 3" of rain.

·
Banned
19 Posts
This was my first project.... after the dealership failed to fix the problem for the PO for $267.... still trying to get rid of the musty smell following the dry out of the drivers side carpet - if anyone has any suggestions.

But the drain fix went off with out a hitch

Luke

·
Banned
19 Posts
I didn't realise there was a drain on the passenger side.... looks like it's easier to access than the driver's side - guess i have another project this weekend

·
Registered
143 Posts
Anyone ever open their driver door and have water spill out onto the ground? This happened the last time we had rain and I haven't figured out why. Already did the sunroof drain mod. Thinking my weather stripping is bad, but it looks new so I'm at a loss...

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Anyone ever open their driver door and have water spill out onto the ground? This happened the last time we had rain and I haven't figured out why. Already did the sunroof drain mod. Thinking my weather stripping is bad, but it looks new so I'm at a loss...
That's most likely what it is - if it looks bad it probably is.

Replace the weather stripping and I'd probably replace the door seals too while you're at it.

Wouldn't hurt to have the alignment of your doors checked also, to make sure they are closing & sealing properly.

An 1/8 of an inch off is enough to start getting water trapped between the body & door seals.

I had an annoying water leak from the top forward part of my driver's side door that would only reveal itself during very heavy down-pours.

It was a combination of a bad door seal and my driver's side door being slightly out of alignment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just got around to doing this today on both sides. To my surprise, it looks like the dealership already modded the drain tubes. The red tip was non existent on both sides, and the rubber grommet had been cut to the diameter of the blue drain tubes.

I see from the carfax that came with my car that the original owner had issues with leaking passenger door and had the stealership work on it twice. So... long story short, both sides are modded and im still getting water on the passenger side.

Blue- you think this is due to weather stripping and door to body panel misalignment?

Thanks
Trevor

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Blue- you think this is due to weather stripping and door to body panel misalignment?

Thanks
Trevor
Trevor,

Look at the alignment of your driver's side door and where it sits against the body when it's closed, and compare it to the passenger's side door and how it sits when it's closed. Take pictures if you have to.

If you see a difference between the two - and how they are sitting against the body when they are closed (IE one is sitting higher or sitting lower than the other - or with more of a space between the door and the body than the other) I'd be willing to bet that the door alignment is your problem.

And I'd go ahead and replace the weather stripping and rubber door seal on the passenger's side door too, just to eliminate that as a contributing factor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This was my first project.... after the dealership failed to fix the problem for the PO for $267.... still trying to get rid of the musty smell following the dry out of the drivers side carpet - if anyone has any suggestions.

But the drain fix went off with out a hitch

Luke

Suggestion, and speaking from experience, cut any and all subliner out. You'll never get that smell out, no matter what. Just take the plastic panels off, lift the carpet and cut that nasty chit out. Your lungs will thank you. Between this and the solenoid starter issue, not sure which one is complained about more! And I agree 100% make sure to cut those stupid nipples off or you'll be right back where you started - only this time w no subfloor to sop it up. Ain't jeeps fun?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If you are still getting water on the floor your drain tubes may have been clogged with leaves and other debris you can push a thin wire down the tubes from the roof, the holes are in the front corners and not esay to see at first especially if you are short. I have a small plastic tube that I slipped over the red tube that comes with a can of compressed air that you use to clean electronic parts It is 2-3 feet long and I push it down the tube and this usually clears it. If you pour some water by the drain tube you will soon know if it drains onto the driveway or just sits there by the drain.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good call Creek. The original owner totally parked my commander under a tree. It took me a while to get all the leaf debris out of the door jams, rear lift gate, and cowl under the hood. I wonder if weed wacker line would do the trick? I will give it a try. If i continue to get water, i will have take blues advise and start taking a more careful look at panel to door alignment and weather stripping. Thank you guys.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think weed wacker line might work if thick enough. If that does not work, go to lowes, ace etc and get a 3-4 feet of 12 -14 awg wire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts